how can I set my animation to be 1080 HD ?

Started by kyng, July 02, 2019, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyng

Hello
I am new to keyshot and I just made a simple animation . In Render settings/animation I set my resolution in both the highest and at 1920X1080 and in video formats I chose almost every option from MP4 to AVI to MOV but my animation comes out only 640X360 in size . This is what my guy who uses after Effects sees and tells me why is it so small.
Another problem I notice is that although I chose different video types such as AVI or MP4 to test but when the animation is done I can only save it as AVI and there is no other option for me to save as .
Can someone tell me if I miss something?

mattjgerard

Render to frames. No real reason to render to a movie file, its very limiting and has some known issues. Not sure if that is what you are expereience, but Ive rendered out hundreds of frames for animations, and it saves you so many hassles if you have to go back in and fix a frame or 3.

Your AE guy will know and probably appreciate getting a frame stack anyway. Try that and see if the size settings stick.

kyng

Hi
So I need to render each frame as still images? My animation requires a 360 rotation . I guess I need to manually enter 5-10 degree- increments and that's 36 + renderings to get all the images I need so I can import into another program for animation . This seems like a long process, not to mention that I need to set my sample per frame at 128 or higher to get better result.

mattjgerard

If you have the animation set already, then no, its just a matter of settings in the render dialog. Keyshot is rendering frames anyway in order to build the video file.

In the animation tab of the render settings dialog unclick the Video Output box and make sure the Frames Output is checked. This will render out all the individual frames of your animation using the animation that you have already setup, so no need to manually do anything.

Keyshot is using the sample setting already to render each frame, so that shouldn't change the render times.

theAVator

I agree with Matt's sentiment.
When you create and render an animation (in your case a 360 rotation or turntable) Keyshot Outputs all of the individual frames that build the video. If you only have video output selected in your render output settings, it'll output the frames, create the video, then dump the frames. What most people on here will tell you is that it's better to uncheck the video output box and only check the frame output one. Then, when it renders the animation, it will render all of the frames (just like the previous scenario) but will skip the video creation and skip deletion of the frame files. So you'll be left with just a folder with however many frames it comes out to (more than likely more than 36). The number of frames it outputs is dependent on the frame rate and amount of time your animation takes i.e. 30fps for 1 second = 30 frames, 30fps at 3 seconds = 90 frames, etc.

The other thing to look at is your image size to make sure it is set to 1920x1080. I set it under Image in the menu bar, then under resolution presets. Then also verify that your render out settings match.

Once you render your animation you'll have a folder full of correctly sized frames - your AE guy can then take folder and import it into AE at your given frame rate and he can output the final video format from there.

kyng

Oh wow I didn't know that! I'll give it another try to see how that goes. Thanks all for your valuable advice .
KN

kyng

Before I do that, here are my settings . Do I need to check anything in the area I circle in red ?

TGS808

Quote from: kyng on July 03, 2019, 01:04:28 PM
Before I do that, here are my settings . Do I need to check anything in the area I circle in red ?

For what you're doing, no. You don't need to.

RRIS

Speaking from experience, if you render frames and composite those in your video editor then don't use PNG's with Premiere Pro. Somehow it doesn't like that file format. For After Effects PNG's are totally fine though.

mattjgerard

Quote from: RRIS on July 08, 2019, 01:24:25 AM
Speaking from experience, if you render frames and composite those in your video editor then don't use PNG's with Premiere Pro. Somehow it doesn't like that file format. For After Effects PNG's are totally fine though.

That's interesting, I use nothing but PNG's. AE or Ppro, I use them in both with no problems. But, I know Ppro is a picky whiny little application that acts like a spoiled three year old sometimes. Wonder if it has to do with embedding transparency or not?

kyng

Hello ,
Just to give you an update, I did what you suggested but I see nothing in the folder where I want to save those still images except for the animation . Also the animation always comes out small that I can't play it full screen . It will look way too grainy!

theAVator

@Kyng 
That seems odd, you shouldn't have had any animation in there at all. It should only output the frames and you'd end up with a folder like the one pictured below. Just for S&Gs, go into your Preferences and see where your Animations folder is set to be, then go in that folder and see if for some reason they got output there??

@RRIS & @Mattjgerard
I've output PNGs for animations many times and have not had any issues with Premiere Pro.  There can be some weird stuff if you use transparency and then perform fades but that's a purely Keyshot issue and I think they've since resolved that in KS7.

kyng

I don't know why I can't get the still images like you have . What am I missing here !