Windows Update: Any way to keep it from killing renders?

Started by Ryan Day, August 30, 2019, 10:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Day

Had a scene setup to render for 12 hours last night. Got to my desk to discover Windows 10 had decided to install and update and reboot the computer, killing the render.

Any way to keep that from happening? Windows' only options are "restart now" and "schedule a time." I don't want to schedule a time, I don't always know when a good time is going to be; why doesn't Windows just have the most sensible option of all: "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" ?

In any case, I've done a registry edit to change the update proceedure in Win10 to "Automatically download and prompt to install" instead of the default 'automatically install' but I keep reading that this setting randomly reverts to default from time to time. Any other options to prevent MS' shenanigans from killing my renders?

I got lucky that this was just an internal project and not a client project on a deadline this time, but that may not always be the case.

Eric Summers

I can relate. I've queued up a weekend of stuff and come in on Monday to find only one or two made it before Windows decided it felt like restarting.

Quote from: Ryan Day on August 30, 2019, 10:14:47 AM
why doesn't Windows just have the most sensible option of all: "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" ?
This would be great!

RRIS

Ryan Day

Quote from: RRIS on September 02, 2019, 01:36:01 AM
Quote from: Ryan Day on August 30, 2019, 10:14:47 AM"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"

A formula 1 fan? ;)

Formerly, yes. I still catch wind of what's going on here and there, but ultimately I don't find the series exciting anymore. I'm much more into Indycar, Endurance and GT stuff these days. I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that one ;)

QuoteIt's possible to turn off Windows Update:
[url]https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
[/quote]

I've done the registry edit to set it to "Automatically download and prompt to install" instead of the default "automatically install" but I've read in various places that this setting gets randomly reset sometimes. In either case, it should be a blatantly available option for every layman, anyways. The fact that it's not is a massive, massive oversight on Microsoft's part.