Some feedback after using the KeyVR trial

Started by rmcclelland, July 01, 2020, 01:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmcclelland

As someone who has been using VR since 2013, and demoed many similar tools, I thought you might leave some feedback. Overall I really like it!

1.   Rendering is really great, my computer, which is available as a standard option at my organization, handled up to 2M triangles just fine. The materials and reflections look great! For us, this isn't a major requirement, but it is nice to have.
2.   I was able to use an Oculus Quest with Link cable just fine. If that is not on your list of supported hardware, it should be (I know it is in beta officially at Oculus though).
3.   Using the grip button to pull up a menu is a weird and counter-intuitive choice. Usually, the grip button is used to grab things in VR. Any other button; A/B/X/Y, or left menu, would all be better. Works fine as is, but has to re-train the VR user vs other programs.
4.   The menu buttons on Oculus don't do anything, which is odd. They usually let you quit programs or look at the desktop.
5.   It would be nice to be able to open and close files from within VR.
6.   The "free move" when you grab things is really twitchy, consider adding some smoothing, which give the impression of an object having mass. In programs like Gravity Sketch this is adjustable.
7.   I'm glad there is a precision move also.
8.   What can be moved independently is a bit confusing. I imported an assembly with sub-assemblies and parts, but I was not able to move them independently. I had to copy them to a Model Set, which lost their position information. On thing I would like to do is import an assembly and pull it apart. Maybe you could use groups?
9.   I like that each hand can do something different.
10.   It is good that there are unused buttons for future features.
11.   The comfort blinders when flying are a but excessive, would be nice to be able to adjust or turn off.
12.   Competing packages have the ability to explode, scale, and section.

Again, really nice overall. It will be great to see the product as it matures. I will also test it on my Valve Index next.

INNEO_MWo

Nice Feedback.

To answer your comment #11 - you can define this in the preferences!

Cheers
Marco (Using KeyVR with a Mixed Reality Device - Samsung Odyssey+ that uses the handles very nice)

rmcclelland