1912 Steam Traction Engine

Started by Speedster, October 04, 2011, 11:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

First shots of my finally completed year long on-again, off-again SolidWorks model of a 1912, 40 HP Case Steam Traction Engine.  Researched (and backplates from) the Gas and Steam Engine Museum, in Vista, California, USA.  SW model- 366 MB.  4,678,306 polys. 

I'm sneaking up on the renders as time allows.  Started out as "rusty", as it was when it was first acquired.  The color and clay shots are for my TurboSquid listing, so they are pretty pristine.  #18A shows how I color-mapped the model.  Now, it's "time to get down and dirty" with real materials, textures and the like, for final prints.  Plan to also learn weathering and painting techniques in CS5 with this project.  In between making a living!

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

guest84672

You are getting pretty good at this, Bill ;-) - I like the second picture from the top. Almost the perfect blend between the 3D scene and the back plate.

JeffM

Very nice! I love all the details that can be seen in the clay rendering (24-Case-Clay).

Thanks for sharing!

Io

Hi Bill, great work, try to reduce env illumination on the clay model and maybe put a base, too. It would enhance the workshop/design/construction atmo of your scene. Example http://image.hotrod.com/f/9200467/hrdp_0603_hold_103_z+holden_concept_car+clay_model.jpg

Speedster

Thanks for the comments, guys- I really appreciate them.  Interesting that the top "rusty" shots are straight KeyShots, with only the signature added in Photoshop. I used HDR LightStudio/KeyShot plugin to create the lighting. Can hardly wait to get serious about the materials.  But... I'm going to wait for KS3 first, after watching the webinar today!  Had to push my keyboard back to keep from drooling on it!

Io, point well taken, but TurboSquid is very particular about how to present a model to their professional market.  No bases, unfortunately.  The white has to be 247/247/247, for example.  Amazing website, and I am very pleased with it for my work so far. 
Bill G

Speedster

Forgot to mention- gotta love those tiny birds on the ground in the first shot!  Wonderful things always happen by accident!
Bill G

feher

Nice work Bill as always !
Thanks for sharing.
It's a Keeper
Tim

gomezbr

Amazing textures!!! I really liked the final result... congrats!

GomeZ

Tiho Ramovic

Beautiful model and renders!!!
Love the rust texture, thank you.