Compiling Stills into Movie Files

Started by Zander85, October 04, 2011, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zander85

Hey guys,
I know that Keyshot 2.3 is not able to compile the render snaps from my rendered out turntables, (but it will be available in Keyshot 3 I've been told). But I was wondering what software you guys were using to compile all of your snaps. I was using Matrix's "movie maker" tool to do so but I am getting artifacts when I convert the snaps (still, jpeg sequences from the turn tables in Keyshot). I have After Effects but I haven't found any tutorials on how to make a movie out of still frames yet. Anyone know how to do that or have a link to a helpful tutorial? Also please share what software your using to make your stills into movie files.
Thanks,
-Zander

guest84672

Ed

Zander -

If you have After Effects there is no need to use another program.  Here are my notes  (more steps are here than needed but I'll give you my full version):

Compose Stills in After Effects:

1.   Drag the KeyShot folder containing the stills onto the AE Project Window to import the entire image collection.
2.   To repeat the composition so it loops 4 times:
a.   Select the image collection in the Project Window.
b.   Click the Interpret Footage icon at the bottom of the Project Window.
c.   Enter the number of times to Loop (e.g.  4)
3.   Drag  the image collection in the Project Window down to the Comp Window to create a new layer.
a.   Note:  If updating an existing layer with a new render series, select the existing layer, then hit ALT when dragging the image collection down.  This replaces the existing collection with the new render series and preserves all key frames and effects on the existing layer.
b.   Scale as needed.
4.   Shift the layer left or right to get the proper start position for the composition.
5.   Enable Motion Blur for the layer.
6.   Insert the Auto Color effect to correct the histogram and hues:
a.   Temporal Smoothing:  10 seconds.
b.   Scene Detect:  OFF
c.   Snap Neutral Midtones:  ON
d.   Blend with Original: 15%
7.   Composition > Preview > RAM Preview  to test.

Ed Ferguson

Zander85

Thanks Ed! I'll run through those steps when I'm at work on Friday. Thanks!
-Zander

Zander85

Ed- the steps worked out pretty well but I am getting some flickering (it looks like the colors are changing in tint) in the background. I rendered the movie from after effects without the color correct effect on and it and without the effect the movie file has no flickering in the background. But with the effect turned off, the movie file seems to have lost some of its smoothness. hmm... I'm gonna play around with the settings, but I am an after effects newb so if you know what's going on here post so you can save me some time.
Thanks guys!
:)