How to import model downloaded from Turbosquid and retain materials and textures

Started by tbernard721, September 10, 2019, 12:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbernard721

I've tried to do this myself over the last several hours. Trying several import settings and googling for directions.  I'm trying to learn why some models from Turbosquid will import with no problems while others I need to fight with. 

This one is fighting me...  I'm not sure if it is me (noob) missing something or if it is the FREE file (see the preview and download the files yourself: https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/1440332) that doesn't import into Keyshot well.

I've tried to import .fbx (I get different colors on the model, no materials/textures) and .obj (all surfaces are white, no material/textures).  The download includes a seperate zip file with textures - but I cannot see which layers I should attach them too.  What am I missing?

I'd appreciate any help or pointing me to information that explains this better.  I'm trying to learn.

Eugen Fetsch

Materials vary from application to application. If the models in the scene have no proper UV unwrapping and the textures were setup with box or planar mapping with scaling and shifting it will be hard to recreate everything 100%.
Good scenes are worth the money cause they take this issue in account.

RRIS

When you download these models, usually they include .fbx and .obj so that you can use any application for visualising the models. Usually they come with 3DS MAX or Maya specific files as well, which have been setup with materials.
If you're using anything else though, you'll have to do it yourself. Like Eugen said, if you're lucky the .fbx or .obj models are UV-mapped, in which case you'll just have to use the right texture maps in your material and possibly tweak them a little (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdSYRFUWDRk)

tbernard721

Thank you for your explinations. The video was incredibly helpful to understand how to apply the materials supplied.  I understand I will have to find the right material by trial and error... or is there a way to read the .fbx file to find out what the model author intended?

RRIS

Quote from: tbernard721 on September 11, 2019, 10:20:46 AM
Thank you for your explinations. The video was incredibly helpful to understand how to apply the materials supplied.  I understand I will have to find the right material by trial and error... or is there a way to read the .fbx file to find out what the model author intended?

Not that I can think of, and often you need to make some tweaks anyway for the best results (which may depend on your environment as well).
I just downloaded a model and somehow all the texture maps were in place when I imported the model, but all the keyshot materials were diffuse.. sometimes they're advanced, it depends. So, trial and error really.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: tbernard721 on September 11, 2019, 10:20:46 AM

OBJ exports can contain texture paths and names. You can open the appropriate *.mtl file with a simple text editor and search for material names and their texture paths.

See Wikipedia OBJ File Texture Maps

Furniture_Guy

Thank you! Never knew you could open the .mtl to find the appropriate filename and paths...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)