Main Menu

Sweaty Beer Bottle

Started by Ryan Day, September 29, 2019, 02:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Day

Spent a few hours putting this together over the weekend. Mostly just to try a few different surface finishes with the label, a more varied approach to the condensation and getting to grips with some lighting techniques for bottles.

Would love some comments/input for improvement!

Chad Holton

Ryan Day

RRIS

Damn, that looks nice! Working on something like this myself at the moment and the droplets are doing my head in. How did you make them?

shakilcpeu

Great work! Perfect reflection shadow creation.

Ryan Day

Quote from: shakilcpeu on October 02, 2019, 01:01:04 AM

Thank you!

Quote from: RRIS on October 02, 2019, 12:34:32 AM
Damn, that looks nice! Working on something like this myself at the moment and the droplets are doing my head in. How did you make them?

Thanks! I tried a few things for the droplets to see if I could achieve a nice varied look. It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy with the result.

For the droplets, I started by duplicating the main bottle geometry, then editing the geometry to remove the interior surfaces and cap the hole at the top (we don't want condensation inside!). Earlier this year I had a client that only wanted large droplets on some cans, so I made a custom, high-res droplets height map (and opacity map, which I only need to use on clear bottles). I made this texture in Photoshop, scaled to fit the cans I was working with at some ~600DPI IIRC, and it gave me full control over exactly where each droplet fell on the can, so I could add and remove individual droplets as the client wished (which proved helpful). Using a Color Composite node with that height map as a source texture, and the opacity as the source alpha, I combined it with a procedural spots texture (with a high falloff value) for the very small little droplets all over the bottle.

Looking back at my material graph, I actually ran both of these sets (the large and small droplets) through separate colour composite nodes first, so I could use a gradient texture to blend them out at the top and bottom of the bottle. For the small droplets I also use the gradient to fade them out a little so their height was lower than the large droplets. All of this is routed into a displace node, and the whole thing given a water material.

I've attached an image of my material graph to help make sense of this. If anything is unclear let me know and I can try to build some more explanatory images :)

RRIS

Quote from: Ryan Day on October 02, 2019, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: shakilcpeu on October 02, 2019, 01:01:04 AM

Thank you!

Quote from: RRIS on October 02, 2019, 12:34:32 AM

Thanks! I tried a few things for the droplets to see if I could achieve a nice varied look. It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy with the result.

For the droplets, I started by duplicating the main bottle geometry, then editing the geometry to remove the interior surfaces and cap the hole at the top (we don't want condensation inside!). Earlier this year I had a client that only wanted large droplets on some cans, so I made a custom, high-res droplets height map (and opacity map, which I only need to use on clear bottles). I made this texture in Photoshop, scaled to fit the cans I was working with at some ~600DPI IIRC, and it gave me full control over exactly where each droplet fell on the can, so I could add and remove individual droplets as the client wished (which proved helpful). Using a Color Composite node with that height map as a source texture, and the opacity as the source alpha, I combined it with a procedural spots texture (with a high falloff value) for the very small little droplets all over the bottle.

Looking back at my material graph, I actually ran both of these sets (the large and small droplets) through separate colour composite nodes first, so I could use a gradient texture to blend them out at the top and bottom of the bottle. For the small droplets I also use the gradient to fade them out a little so their height was lower than the large droplets. All of this is routed into a displace node, and the whole thing given a water material.

I've attached an image of my material graph to help make sense of this. If anything is unclear let me know and I can try to build some more explanatory images :)

Very nice! I wish I had KS8 here at work, unfortunately for now I am stuck on KS7. I thought for a while to do the droplets in Blender, but for now I'm using a combination of normal maps from Poliigon.. works well enough for concept visualisation (and importantly, I can just import new geometry, slap on the material and render.
But, once KS9 rolls around I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade.. in the meantime I'm keeping this bookmarked ;) Thanks for the explanation!

Ryan Day

Quote from: RRIS on October 07, 2019, 04:40:09 AMVery nice! I wish I had KS8 here at work, unfortunately for now I am stuck on KS7. I thought for a while to do the droplets in Blender, but for now I'm using a combination of normal maps from Poliigon.. works well enough for concept visualisation (and importantly, I can just import new geometry, slap on the material and render.
But, once KS9 rolls around I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade.. in the meantime I'm keeping this bookmarked ;) Thanks for the explanation!

You're welcome!

Good luck on getting an upgrade; I'm really hoping to bump up to KS9 but I'll probably have to wait a little while. Pitfalls of working for yourself, you need to make those hard decisions on your own  ;D

Josh3D

So schweaty! lol. Looks really good, Ryan!

Ryan Day

Quote from: Josh3D on October 07, 2019, 10:36:56 AM
So schweaty! lol. Looks really good, Ryan!

Thanks, Josh! And thanks for the social media shout-out, too! :)

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Yeah, man! Closeup shots are great!