keyshot back to solidworks

Started by kyng, October 22, 2019, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyng

Hello !
I want to know if it is possible to convert the models I receive in KS so I can open them in Solidworks .
Thanks in advance!
Ky

INNEO_MWo

You can export the scene as obj or fbx if Solidworks is able to read the file. But all you get is a colored mesh. Most of the infos are lost. KeyShot can't export NURBS data.

kyng

Oh ok let me give that a try and give you an update soon!
Thanks
Ky

kyng

ok I was able to export as STP but when I open it in SW and make an assembly, I can't mate them . SW won't let me select any surface on the model so I can mate them .

Sorry I was wrong. I was able to save as stl NOT stp . That's why I can't mate them . I really need to mate these models .

INNEO_MWo

no chance - KeyShot exports (obj, fbx stl) are files with facets (polygons) - so no NURBS no surfaces to mate. So you have to use a point-to-point mate option and try to mate the vertex points.

sloanelliot

Your only real shot at this would be to use something like TSplines / TS Elements, which can actually interpret sub-d (i.e., polygonal STL file) data into useable NURBS data. It's a plugin for Solidworks, but I believe is also now native in Fusion 360 if you can get your hands on that. There are a few other applications that have this capability, with varying degrees of success (especially with 3D scanning platforms, where this is a common hurdle). Autodesk ReCap might have it as well? I think it might even be free (sorry in advance if this is misinformation haha)?