Link only colors?

Started by Rollk1, October 10, 2019, 02:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollk1

I'm trying to link the colors of 2 different parts, but only the colors not material (e.g. linked multi-material colors between plastic and rubber parts). Primarily reason is so I can easily change colors shared between different parts/materials.

INNEO_MWo

It might be stupid, but you can use a "single color texture file" like the regular usage of textures?!?

Eric Summers

How about a color adjust node? You could set the color there and then plug that into the diffuse input of your materials.

mattjgerard

I've used the vertex color node to create color swatches before too. Could use the gradient node as well, with the flexibility of the gradient functionality. Feed that into the color/diffuse blip of the material nodes.

INNEO_MWo

I guess that the color adjust node and also the vertex texture would work within on material on one part along the multi material.
But if I would need a color on different parts with different materials, then I would use a 10x10 px solid color image file (box) mapped in the materials.

Eric Summers

Quote from: MWo on October 11, 2019, 08:44:18 AM
I guess that the color adjust node and also the vertex texture would work within on material on one part along the multi material.
But if I would need a color on different parts with different materials, then I would use a 10x10 px solid color image file (box) mapped in the materials.

Good point Marco. I was only thinking about within one multi-material.

INNEO_MWo

Hey Eric.

This request isn't asked much in here. A well structured project material list would also enables quick material changes when combined with multi material.
Long story short - it depends on workflow.

Cheers
Marco