Main Menu

Jaggies

Started by figure1a, October 24, 2019, 10:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

figure1a

What's the secret to anti-aliasing in KeyShot? Doing just a straight samples render and doing a Custom Control render yields identical results. I even turned anti-aliasing up to 10,000 just to see. Is there another setting somewhere in KS or the material that I need to change? It's a car so there's lots of hard edges I have to worry about.

Eugen Fetsch

This is an interesting point - would like to know that too.
For a quick try - how about to render in double resolution with half samples, blur the image by one-two pixels in post and scale it back down? Would it help as a workaround?

Edit: As far as I understand the render technology, rendering in double res with half sample count, should lead to almost identical render times (besides of the saving times on the hard disk). A high res image should then have better Anti Aliasing without any blur by default. So scaling down the image should give you a better result. It works great for masks too.

figure1a

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on October 24, 2019, 01:15:33 PM
This is an interesting point - would like to know that too.
For a quick try - how about to render in double resolution with half samples, blur the image by one-two pixels in post and scale it back down? Would it help as a workaround?
Thanks for the idea but my images are 12K wide already. 24K wide would theoretically take 4 times as long to render. Would probably be more efficient to just retouch any jagged edges in PS.

But I'm testing something right now that maybe says this is a bug. My full size renders from last night are not as jagged. I did cropped region renders today of the problem areas. No matter what setting I put, the result is like the image above. I have a feeling with such a tight crop, KS8 is having problems. Going to render another large one tonight and see if I get better results.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: figure1a on October 24, 2019, 01:30:43 PM
Thanks for the idea but my images are 12K wide already. 24K wide would theoretically take 4 times as long to render.
Theoretically if you double the resolution, quarter the samples and scale down afterwards, you should get the same image quality (in terms of noise) like in the original render, everything in the same amount of render time, but with far better anti aliasing.

figure1a

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on October 24, 2019, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: figure1a on October 24, 2019, 01:30:43 PM
Thanks for the idea but my images are 12K wide already. 24K wide would theoretically take 4 times as long to render.
Theoretically if you double the resolution, quarter the samples and scale down afterwards, you should get the same image quality (in terms of noise) like in the original render, everything in the same amount of render time, but with far better anti aliasing.
Good point. I might try that if I have some jaggies that won't resolve.

RRIS

Those over-bright emissive materials can be problematic, I would try to lower their intensity until they stop being jaggy (and then make any adjustments in photoshop).

figure1a

Quote from: RRIS on October 25, 2019, 12:43:13 AM
Those over-bright emissive materials can be problematic, I would try to lower their intensity until they stop being jaggy (and then make any adjustments in photoshop).
Thank you. Good strategy.