Please support the AMD card!

Started by wendi94, October 23, 2019, 04:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendi94

Eugen Fetsch

I had a similar message in an Apple forum - "Please support NVIDIA cards"  ;D
They ignored me  :'(

Furniture_Guy

Sorry wendi94, you're chasing windmills on this one...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

wendi94

What about users who only use Apple? They use AMD's graphics card.I hope that you can pay attention to this problem and solve it.You have to know that Apple users will use more genuine software.
    Please help me with this question, thank you.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: wendi94 on October 30, 2019, 04:12:11 AM
What about users who only use Apple? They use AMD's graphics card.I hope that you can pay attention to this problem and solve it.You have to know that Apple users will use more genuine software.
    Please help me with this question, thank you.
Can you guarantee that? Let's talk numbers. What is the real AMD Pro GPU market share in the CG industry?

mattjgerard

"What is the real AMD Pro GPU market share in the CG industry?"

Shrinking. Fast.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 30, 2019, 06:10:18 AM
"What is the real AMD Pro GPU market share in the CG industry?"

Shrinking. Fast.
You nailed it. :D

sloanelliot

Welp. You have a decades-old grudge-- taken to the grave, quite literally (ha)-- to thank for that one. Imagine all the superior hardware (and software) you could afford, if only...

But seriously, this is a huge stride for KS that took an inordinate amount of time and resource to develop.  AMD is a completely different architecture; not saying it won't happen, but I'd be genuinely surprised if it did, at least any time soon?

If you're after "more genuine software" your only real step up ( - ease of use and learning curve) from Keyshot would be Maya + VRay (or Arnold), if you're able to make the yearly $$ investment (unfortunately, I have to). Autodesk's M&E bundle is the best value, and comes with Max, Maya, Mudbox (sort of a cut-rate ZBrush), and Arnold for just north of $2000/year. Add Vray for ~$500, though Arnold is pretty stellar.

Problem is, no tool has it all (by a long shot). Keyshot is by far the fastest trajectory to quality results, though. If render times are becoming prohibitive I'd suggest checking out  a render farm (like www.RenderBoost.com, they're very reasonable and most renders come in at a few dollars apiece when you're in a pinch).

RRIS

Quote from: sloanelliot on October 30, 2019, 08:13:53 AM
Welp. You have a decades-old grudge-- taken to the grave, quite literally (ha)-- to thank for that one. Imagine all the superior hardware (and software) you could afford, if only...

But seriously, this is a huge stride for KS that took an inordinate amount of time and resource to develop.  AMD is a completely different architecture; not saying it won't happen, but I'd be genuinely surprised if it did, at least any time soon?

If you're after "more genuine software" your only real step up ( - ease of use and learning curve) from Keyshot would be Maya + VRay (or Arnold), if you're able to make the yearly $$ investment (unfortunately, I have to). Autodesk's M&E bundle is the best value, and comes with Max, Maya, Mudbox (sort of a cut-rate ZBrush), and Arnold for just north of $2000/year. Add Vray for ~$500, though Arnold is pretty stellar.

Problem is, no tool has it all (by a long shot). Keyshot is by far the fastest trajectory to quality results, though. If render times are becoming prohibitive I'd suggest checking out  a render farm (like www.RenderBoost.com, they're very reasonable and most renders come in at a few dollars apiece when you're in a pinch).

Honestly, I'd swallow my pride and switch to Windows before any of my money goes to Autodesk...

mattjgerard

Quote from: RRIS on November 06, 2019, 12:22:16 AM

Honestly, I'd swallow my pride and switch to Windows before any of my money goes to Autodesk...

After dealing with (or trying to deal with) autodesk for a mere 2-3 seats of 3DS max, yeah, I'd remove my own eyeballs with a spork before trying to use anything from them again. I did make the switch to PC from mac when I went freelance, mainly due to having to spend the same amount of money on a high end workstation, with a mac using 5 year old tech and on the PC getting so much more for my dollar at the same cost. I 100% prefer the MacOS and the environment, but for a workstation, once I'm in the appwhether it be Keyshot, photoshop, Premiere, Cura, whatever, its all the same. Its just the file structure and having to use my pinky for the CTRL key that annoys me. Windows 10 isn't that bad, fortunately they mimic'd enough of the MacOS over the years so that its not too bad to use.

Plus you can plug in any NVIDIA card and it works. Oh and guess what , you can put in ANOTHER card, and it works. And another..... Aaaaaannnnd another.....In that case, MacOS can learn a few things.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 06, 2019, 05:43:20 AM
Quote from: RRIS on November 06, 2019, 12:22:16 AM

After dealing with (or trying to deal with) autodesk for a mere 2-3 seats of 3DS max, yeah, I'd remove my own eyeballs with a spork before trying to use anything from them again. I did make the switch to PC from mac when I went freelance, mainly due to having to spend the same amount of money on a high end workstation, with a mac using 5 year old tech and on the PC getting so much more for my dollar at the same cost. I 100% prefer the MacOS and the environment, but for a workstation, once I'm in the appwhether it be Keyshot, photoshop, Premiere, Cura, whatever, its all the same. Its just the file structure and having to use my pinky for the CTRL key that annoys me. Windows 10 isn't that bad, fortunately they mimic'd enough of the MacOS over the years so that its not too bad to use.

Plus you can plug in any NVIDIA card and it works. Oh and guess what , you can put in ANOTHER card, and it works. And another..... Aaaaaannnnd another.....In that case, MacOS can learn a few things.

Once again in my view Matt articulates the situation the best. Coming from the printing world, Mac OS was it but times change...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

sloanelliot

Haha.. fair enough. I was an artist in the games industry for just over a decade before going fully freelance (Activision and UbiSoft prior to that), and sadly it was Autodesk or bust ... now I feel stuck because I know the software too well to go back to the drawing board with something like Blender, etc. There also wasn't a Mac in sight, as is the case in most 3D production houses, whether for games, film, etc.

I will say, Autodesk is doing big things with Fusion 360 though (at the pricepoint). A lot of hard surface modelers for games and film use it almost exclusively now. If I could bite the bullet and learn Blender I could save myself a truckload by dropping SolidWorks/Maya/VRay, especially with the substance painter support, fabric, etc. in KS9..