Main Menu

Running wish list...

Started by sloanelliot, October 28, 2019, 04:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloanelliot

Hi all,

I've pretty much been a silent "lurker" on the forums to date, but I'd like to start being more active (you all seem like such a great bunch of people!). I've had a few nagging "hope's & dreams" for Keyshot that have yet to show up (maybe they will in 9?) so I figured I'd drop them here for good measure:

#1:
The ability to save gradient presets. I create so many different (often complex) gradients, either for custom diffuse color, custom light pins, backgrounds, etc. and it would be such a time-saver to be able to store them somewhere, similar to the way Photoshop handles this? There are obvious workarounds for certain scenarios, but to have a save-as / gradient swatch available to quickly grab a gradient anywhere the gradient tool happens to be available would be massive in my world haha..

#2:
Similarly, the ability to save individual HDRI pins (not full HDRI's) as presets. I know we can save the entire HDRI, but when you find yourself recreating detailed pins with specific attributes/values/gradients/etc, it would be really helpful to quickly grab something you already put the work into. Again, I'm aware of the (less convenient) workarounds, but this seems like a logical feature that wouldn't be horribly difficult to implement?

#3:
There are a few posts on these already, so I'll bunch them together haha.. The ability to shift and/or ctrl-select and delete multiple environments, pins, cameras, etc. I'm not at my computer, but I want to say the only place you can do this is with cameras? And along those core UI lines: the ability to double-click to rename, across the board. The functionality for these types of interactions are very inconsistent from list to list (i.e., model tree, hdri editor, etc.) so it'd be nice to marry them all with some predictable behavior. Also, in Adobe products, the ability to hit TAB while renaming layers is amazing for quickly going down a tree to name everything (TAB automatically bumps you to the next item in the list, already highlighted and ready to rename...huge time saver).

#4:
In the geometry viewer, it would be convenient to have the option to show ONLY the current/active camera to avoid confusion when dealing with many, many cameras. Currently, it's sort of "all or nothing" and seems like a logical feature that might help some folks out..

#5:
A checkbox to exclude or include environments when importing a scene, like we currently can for cameras (i.e., the "include cameras" checkbox). This always inevitably results in piles of duplicate environments and I'm not aware of any workarounds, short of one MASSIVE singular file with countless model sets, multimaterials, etc. But when you use render farms for half of your work, files like that aren't as practical, and thus merging scenes and simply swapping out models is common practice (to keep size down)..

#6:
This one's for those who use render farms often, where you must first save a file as a KSP, then extract said KSP into a folder and then re-zip it up before uploading-- I know this one's probably a stretch, but maybe the option to save a packaged scene as a ZIP instead of KSP? It's such a massive time-sponge doing this day-in, day-out haha..

#7:
Another lump of redundant requests that I think MIGHT be coming in 9: uv unwrap, better manual label positioning + coordinate system, the elusive "why for the love of god does a node reset when I simply replace one map with another??", and of course, the ability to easily track down missing maps upon file open. The usual suspects haha..

Of course, please let me know if there's something obvious I've missed / am unaware of that addresses these obstacles! It's certainly happened before..

And please know, any nagging here from me is more tongue-in-cheek. I'm in AWE over the work you've done to make Keyshot what it is today. Can't wait for 9.

sloanelliot

I forgot, one more--

#8:
The ability to control "tilt" of an HDRI globally in the same manner you can for your background image alone within the HDRI editor. This would allow you to not just control the tilt of the background on it's own but instead the entire array of pins, etc. right along with it.

NM-92

#9:
Making DoF work with backplates ? At least a rough estimate.

sloanelliot

Ha, I'd support that. I get why it would be difficult to implement (i.e., no way for KS to know the scale / depth information of the backplate image), but yeah-- I mean, even just something like a depth/blur slider for the backplate somewhere in the camera settings? Hmm..

The Depth Pass + Photoshop "lens blur" approach can be really effective or a complete miss, depending on the scenario haha..

INNEO_MWo

There are dome solutions for a few topics, and some of them will be changed in next versions, I hope.

I'm interested in the direction, forum entries like this can go.

Will write if I have time to.

Cheers
Marco

PS: written on a mobile

sloanelliot

I hope you do, Marco! Curious to hear your thoughts..  :)

wendi94

I wish ks9 support the AMD card!

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: wendi94 on October 29, 2019, 08:52:13 AM
I wish ks9 support the AMD card!
::)
... and I wish KeyShot would run on Linux, but it will not happen. How big would be a market share for AMD cards and how many resources have to be burned to develop it. Run a pol and you'll be surprised to see the low count of pro users running an AMD card for CAD and visualization.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on October 30, 2019, 01:50:34 AM

... and I wish KeyShot would run on Linux, but it will not happen.

Luxion has an internal build that runs on Linux, but they have no current plans to release it due to the issues of supporting so many different Linux builds and customizations. There was a thread a while back that discussed this, and one of the more humorous comments was "The reason most people run Linux is because its cheap. You really think Linux users will be willing to pay $1000+ for a single piece of software?" :o  ::)

They have a Network Render build that runs on Linux that is downloadable.....

Eugen Fetsch

I disagree here. My old MacBook Pro (i7) from 2015 got a new life with elementary OS. Blender start up time = 1 second. In comparison - it takes 4 seconds on MacOS and the new Win10 2990WX Threadripper takes 5 seconds for that task. So, it can be a matter of performance, or security and stability to run Linux.

Black Magic Fusion & Resolve, MODO, Blender 3D, Houdini, Substance Designer and Painter are running on Linux. Only Adobe and KeyShot are missing (on my list).
I would love to run all my apps on Linux or Mac. But Nvidia is not available on Mac, Adobe and KS not on Linux. Windows won the battle! But, so what? Take it or leave it.  ;)