AMD EPYC 7742 and 7702 64 Core Processors

Started by kreita, October 23, 2019, 10:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreita

Wondering if anyone has first hand experience with these new processors and how they perform with Keyshot.

Thanks!

mattjgerard

I have not myself, but am interested as well. Not sure if the ROI due to the cost is worth it, but just like for the Dual Proc XEON systems, you want to play with large core counts all it takes is $$$ Last time I looked into it, supermicro was the only place making Mb's for them.

kreita

Yes, thanks good info. Thinkmate can build a system using a server case. The lead time as of a phone call I had with them this week is 4-6 weeks with the supermicro motherboards being the bottleneck as they continue to gear up production. I was just wondering if there's any reason KeyShot couldn't fully utilize all the core/threads?? Right now I have 20 cores and my typical interior rendering requires about 8 hours to process. Having the extra cores if useable would exponentially shorten my turn times  for a relatively quick ROI. Even if its a $10,000 computer.

Wondering if there's a less expensive or better way to get 64 cores in a single computer?

Thank you for the response.

mattjgerard

My hp z8 64 thread machine was about 8 grand total build. Went from running 150fps on my old box to about 475fps on most scenes. Keyshot will use whatever cores you allow it to, I'm not aware of any cap to that. Getting 64 true cores (not threads) will be a spendy bugger either way.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 28, 2019, 06:58:50 AM
My hp z8 64 thread machine was about 8 grand total build. Went from running 150fps on my old box to about 475fps on most scenes. Keyshot will use whatever cores you allow it to, I'm not aware of any cap to that. Getting 64 true cores (not threads) will be a spendy bugger either way.

Matt,

LOL! Spendy AND speedy...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)