RealCloth and CAD

Started by Ryan Day, November 05, 2019, 01:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Day

Hey guys, very excited with the new features in KS9, and hoping to upgrade soon. Just wondering if someone is able to pipe in on the new cloth material. I understand the need for UVs, but wanted to know if the pseudo-UV trick for NURBS CAD works for it? I'm talking about the single-face NURBS trick used in the weld seams video posted earlier this year (last year?) whereby Keyshot uses the grid structure of the NURBS surface as UV information.

I see in the help documentation that the displacement stuff is not available for "NURBS rendering" but does it work for NURBS imported geometry?

KeyShot

It is best if you can have continuous and size preserving UV coordinates across the surface, where you apply the RealCloth. In KeyShot 9.1 we will very likely have a UV unwrap tool that you can use to create UV coordinates.

Yes, you can apply displacement to NURBS imported geometry. However, the displaced surface will be triangulated.

soren

As noted above, UV coordinates with no stretching is best used with RealCloth. In general, if you can model the object in question consisting of pieces as you would stitch/sew a real piece of fabric it is ideal.

This should also be the case with NURBS modelling - if you can model the object as the pieces you would cut from a flat piece of textile it should work. Although, NURBS surfaces and their UV coordinate choices in different CAD-system can vary quite a lot, so it may not work in all modelling tools.

Ryan Day

Great, thanks for the input guys! This is pretty much what I was hoping to hear; it's what I was expecting from the beginning but just a couple notes/wordings made me doubt it. :)