More Control Over Reflection

Started by Zander85, October 01, 2011, 08:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zander85

I'd like to see more control over the "reflection" in the "environment tab". The only alternative to have control over the reflection is to import a ground plane of some kind, apply a material but that doesn't work in my case. Because the HDRI image is the only light source in my scene and If I import the ground plane make it something like a dielectric material it reflects all the lights in the HDRI which is undesirable. And I need to render animations quickly within Keyshot, so I don't want to render elements of my scene out individually and then later composite them together because that process would bog my work down. I would rather like to see a couple of added controls in the reflections in the environment tab. I would like to see a way to control the smoothness/roughness of the reflection (this can be faked that's fine) and also the ability to control the fall off of the reflection (basically a gradient over the shadow that goes from full opacity to zero opacity). And really just a general control for the opacity of this reflection. That would be a total of 3 controls which would be a nice feature I think.

guest84672

Yes - we have this on the list of things to do. Not for 3.0 though.

Zander85

I've worked out a decent quick fix for the time being. I just make a vignette in photoshop and make sure it blends in with my background colors and in after effects I just throw the vignette layer on top and it masks out part of the reflection and makes the reflection look a bit more desirable.