Lighting Theory/Techniques - Lesson?

Started by Ryan Day, September 01, 2019, 11:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Day

In an effort to boost my skills, over the last few years I've periodically looked at local photography courses to see if anything deals with lighting theory/techniques; especially studio lighting. Unfortunately I haven't really found much on the topic; courses all seem to deal with the technical aspects of working with cameras or with composition/framing.

Do any of you guys know of any good online sources for this kind of information? I'm open to a paid online course dealing with this stuff in necessary, but really anything that covers effective/best practices for lighting objects would be great.

Eugen Fetsch

Ryan Day

richardfunnell

David Merz turned me on to Light, Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting, which has been a fantastic asset.

Link here: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B00S1DD870&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_7D-BDb2M0QYX4

It's especially good at dealing with product photography and carries over well into rendering difficult-to-light items like liquids and metals. 10/10 would recommend ;)

DetroitVinylRob

Two thumbs up. Couldn't agree more about the value of information in Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting. Be sure to get 5th Edition.