How to create this Material

Started by sakumar9, December 01, 2019, 06:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakumar9

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a piece of furniture using India Rosewood texture. Is there a way I can create some seamless texture that looks like this?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81tTScl8WlL._SX466_.jpg

There are not many images out there so  I don't really have an image to use as texture. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sloanelliot

You could *try* to do it procedurally using the wood node, but with how different each section is, you might have to split the geometry (using a nice organic split line) into each of those dominant grain regions and create a separate procedural for each. Obviously quality photo source might be more ideal, but if that's not available you could probably get close with that approach. You could also attempt to create a large, seamless texture map in Photoshop using photo source of woods that look similar (i.e., the lighter regions "resemble" oak and the darker areas feel similar to a walnut, as an example ... though I'm no wood expert lol) and cut each region out using some nice curves and blend seams, etc.

As I'm typing this, another (simpler) thought comes to mind as well: you could just do one master procedural wood node and use a color composite node to overlay or multiply the various color regions (i.e., the dark brown, reddish-brown, etc.), and even that pass could be done procedurally so everything is nice and seamless, scalable, etc.

Definitely some work haha..