[RESOLVED] CS9 materials/label problem

Started by MM46, December 06, 2019, 04:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MM46

Hi guys
Is there anyone who can help me please?
I'm trying to create a bottle cap that is a metal object with a painted outer surface (top and sides)
I have got to the point where I can apply a red label acting as the red paint. When set as single sided there are still areas that don't take the label...
Please is there any way round this?

See attached
I have fixed for now by creating two objects that fit one inside the other, but would love to know if there's a long term proper fix/technique
Thanks
Marcus

INNEO_MWo

You need the experimental features enabled.
Then apply the paint material as a label onto the metal.
And add the backside surface mask in the opacity channel of the label material.
If the paint is on the wrong side (caused by the normals), then use the invert utility between the backside mask and the opacity connection.

This should help

Cheers
Marco

MM46

Thanks Marco, I'll give that a try :)

INNEO_MWo

Could you upload the cap geometry?

MM46

Hi Marco
Struggling to find the 'experimental features'...
Is this what you mean by the geometry?
Thanks
Marcus

INNEO_MWo

Hello Marcus

To activate the experimental features, just open the ks9settings.xml from the resources folder with a notepad. Then search for "experimental" and change the value from false to true. (<experimental_features bool="true"/>)
Then start KeyShot.

In the attached KSP, you'll see two solutions.
I've splitted the cap into separated objects (inner and outer shape) and applied different materials.
And I've splitted the cap to get just a single surface (without thickness). This part has a metal and a paint on top. As you can see, there's a "ray mask" node applied on the opacity of the labels. This ray mask ist an experimental feature and do the job right. A backside mask with an invert (utility) node would work as well, but ray mask is one node simpler.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

MM46

OK, I have found the .xml file and opened. How do I find 'experimental' in what looks like a pile of code? (sorry I'm not very tech ???)
Did the files I sent make any sense
Thank you
Marcus

Don Cheke

Quote from: MM46 on December 09, 2019, 12:08:00 PM
OK, I have found the .xml file and opened. How do I find 'experimental' in what looks like a pile of code? (sorry I'm not very tech ???)
Did the files I sent make any sense
Thank you
Marcus

If I may, if you opened in notepad, just press ctrl+F and do a word search for experimental.

MM46

Cheers Marco! I'll check that out in the morning. Great job, that's what I was after
Thank you

MM46

Hi Marco
I've nailed it!
I had a slight problem locating the split/separated surface but found it in the scene tree. Should have looked there first... :-[
Thank you for your help
Marcus

INNEO_MWo