Hand made sub machine gun

Started by Masoud Zangi, December 01, 2019, 03:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masoud Zangi

Hi community , haven't been around for a while. I'm back with my new artwork.the concept of SMG itself is based on "Rust" game , But I extend it to tell a story about fighting and residence and more important, Love. Hand made concept of weapon gave me a lot of challenges in modelling and texturing.
I was working on it when keyshot 9 released and made things a lot easier and more straight forward to me. New generic material and substance painter importer finally makes pipeline between 2 apps easy and clear.
I also add some small amount of fuzz to the bands , which ads huge amount of realism to my scene.
Like always , hope you like it and I'm open to your critiques.

kamran Rahmani

I love The textures, Great shots Masoud!

Josh3D

Cool idea for a handmade SMG there Masoud. Love the texture and attention to detail. Wicked welds! You should share your SP to KeyShot workflow!

Will Gibbons

I like the narrative aspect to it and of course, it looks like lots of work went into the materials! Nice job.

Masoud Zangi

Thank you every KS folks here for your kind words.I like to talk about my pipeline a little bit.
First of all I modeled parts of the gun using Subdiv modeling technique inside Maya.Then I uv unwrapped all parts , and tried to group uv parts together to have maximum textel density and UV area coverage. I grouped all parts into 4 groups , which every group packed into one UV square. I assigned a single material to every group.
Then I exported every part to zbrush to add micro details like damages and...I exported 2 models for every part. One decimated high poly for baking and one level 3 subdivided model which had good details and clean UV for texturing and rendering.

With decimated model as high poly, I baked normal , AO , curvature and position map for every part inside Substance painter. From there I could start texturing , which was a long process of trial and error and study.

With new keyshot 9 , I could export my maps easily using keyshot 9+ exporter and more easily import into keyshot.
Lighting inside keyshot was not very complicated , just some nice HDRI from keyshot cloud with some pins. and Wow , results was great.
Floor material is fully created inside keyshot using material graph.
I've done heavy color correction Inside Photoshop using render passes to give it finall look.
I hope this article helps  people work simpler in this maya , zbrush , substance , keyshot pipeline.
If there is any question , I will be happy to answer and help.

Josh3D

Great insight, Masoud. Thanks for sharing!