Out of App memory errors

Started by Paul Lang, December 16, 2019, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lang

Worked on a scene for about 9 hrs yesterday, the scene is heavy on instancing some vegetation with the pattern tool. I have always understood that the pattern tool used instances rather than duplicates for better performance however I have always experience that the more instances I have the slower Keyshot becomes. All is not to bad as long as selections outlines are selectively used and using bounding box for geometry view. The issue I encountered yesterday is that I mistakenly used a displacement map on a plant prior to instancing with the pattern tools as it turns out you should not do this. I have a few hundred instances, the problem is when I closed the file to briefly work on something else and tried to reopen it Keyshot seems to be executing the displacement to each individual instance. This ran for about 45min before giving me an "Out of Application Memory" error Keyshot 112.52 GB what? First why does Keyshot Re-execute geometry nodes every time you close a file and reopen it.  Second if it is an instance object why does it have to re-execute each instance?

Sune

Hello,

I don't know about geometry nodes being executed on instanced objects, but if you are using KeyShot 9 you can open a scene in recovery mode, without executing the geometry nodes.

Go to Help > Open (Recovery Mode)... and browse to your file.

KeyShot

Hi Paul,

The reason instances are all displaced individually is that the material is not instanced, so in principle you could have different materials on all the instances with different displacements. However, in your case, with the same material and same base geometry I agree that this is not optimal. We will see what we can do to optimize this. As already mentioned you can open your scene in recovery mode where the geometry nodes / displacement will not be executed.

Paul Lang

That is awesome about the recover mode, did not know about that one and will save me a bunch of time so will give that a try. I am aware of the material options with instances which is a great feature but some more optomization on that would be great!. A good solution would be a much needed bake geometry node. Also perhaps something like bake textures so that in the situation where you know you will not be changing materials it can truly see it as an instance.

thanks for the help.

Paul

KeyShot

We are looking at the bake option for displacement and fuzz. I can see how that would benefit your workflow.