[RESOLVED] NR Thread vs Core

Started by mattjgerard, January 06, 2020, 07:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I was reading the FAQ on the NR rendering Thread vs Core, and it states that 32 Threads will always be faster than 16 cores. So, I have a 32 Core machine, with Hyper threading disabled. If I pay for the 64 Core/Thread NR and turn hyper threading on so I get a full 64 Threads, is it worth it? Its still using the same physical hardware, so how much faster will I render? We will be running some rather large tradeshow graphics coming up with tight deadlines so looking to maximize our resources. We are also looking at render farm services as well.

Sune

It will potentially be twice as fast, realistically close to it.

As it's stated in our Network Rendering manual "the correlation between render time and number of cores in your network is approximately linear and inversely proportional.  In other words, by doubling the number of cores you potentially cut your render time in half"

KeyShot treats 64 threads as 64 cores.

mattjgerard

Great, thanks Sune. Still trying ot wrap my head around hyperthreading and how it realistically increases resources while using the same hardware. Sounds like the processors single threaded aren't 100% efficient and the hyperthreading is a way to take advantage of the unused clock cycles. Articles I read only stated a max gain of 30% with hyperthreading on, and even less on multi socket systems (which I have). Appreciate the confirmation!

Matt