[RESOLVED]Render Noise in Translucent Materials

Started by lennjamin, January 12, 2020, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lennjamin

Just looking to get some help on ironing out noise from my rendering (attached). Do I need to increase the samples or ray bounces to render through the pixelation/noise? Maybe I just need the rendering to "bake" longer? I keep trying playing with the settings and feel like a dog chasing his tail. I still seem to have lots of pixelation even at 2000 samples and ray bounces in the environment at 14.

Any setting suggestions?

KeyShot

Are you using the standard translucent material or the advanced translucent material (or cloudy plastic)?
The standard translucent material should not be very noisy and it will converge even with relatively few samples. Cloudy plastic can be a bit more demanding for high cloudiness values.

If you are using KeyShot 9 then the denoiser should be quite good at cleaning up the last details.

lennjamin

The translucent material is the plastic cloudy material, with a noise(texture) bump map on it. As for Keyshot version I'm only running Keyshot 7. Is there any way around this? Seems like this material isn't extremely complex that I should be having noise issues after hours of rendering time. Any suggested settings to try?

lennjamin

I ran another render and it still looks undercooked. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I've attached my settings.

designgestalt

the samples are ample !!!
turn of caustics and send and a screengrab of your lighting scenario ...
cheers
designgestalt

richardfunnell

What are your material samples set to in this scene? They're independent from screen samples, and should be set to at least 24-32 per material (or higher).

lennjamin

Theyre at 16 - seems that should be bumped up a bit. Will this just add to the ridiculous render time?

richardfunnell

I honestly think your scene samples (@2000) are too high, you should see improvement almost immediately when you increase your material samples. Try 32 samples for your materials, and you may have to go higher (64 is usually my absolute max) if your results don't get better.

Your material samples contribute to the overall quality, but if they're set too low you'll never get optimal results in a scenario like this. You should be able to render at lower scene samples if your material samples are high. Does that make sense?

lennjamin

Thanks much @richardfunnell! What youre saying makes sense.

I had my scene samples at 1000 and I probably wouldnt go any more than 1500 on that. I upped the cloudy plastic material sample to 32 and it does look better in the render (so far). I am curious if the material will clear up - it's currently quite opaque. Notice the difference between renders in the below renders - maybe it just needs more time to res up?

Lastly, any idea why I might have those dark lines in the funnel shape? If you zoom in there, there are some lines... not quite sure why. In the model it's just a revolve so it shouldnt be in the model itself. I'd rather take care of these imperfections in Keyshot rather than PS.

Thanks again for all your help and input.

richardfunnell

Can you share a KSP? It may be easier to evaluate that way.

lennjamin

I can share one once this render is complete. It's basically immobilized my laptop. I lightened the cloudy material to more of a blue rather than gray, which seems to bring more transparency as I wanted to show more of the pcb, ribs and components. By upping those material samples that also seemed to help quite a bit.

I'm still not sure what that dark line is in the funnel, but I'm guessing ill just need to photoshop that a bit afterwards.

L

Justin A

This post will be marked as Resolved due to inactivity.  If you are still having issues pleas start a new post or contact us direct at Support@luxion.com

Thank you