Suggestion: import file adding to all model sets by default

Started by wayneheim, January 23, 2020, 07:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayneheim

Currently when you import a file into a scene that has multiple model sets, the default is to automatically add it to every model set of the scene. So every time I bring in a new item I have to uncheck the other model sets. Would be nice if only one (default) was selected or maybe have the opening option be to "add to new model set".

Personally I wish there was also an option to add it to a group. You can't rotate/move a model set the way you can a group. I'm ending up still using groups after importing things.

INNEO_MWo

Two quick tips.

Double click on a model set isolates it = hide all the other model sets if they're not locked.

KeyShot 9 has this new import feature that add a new model set at import. And this can be set in the preferences as default import option for every single file type.

Cheers
Marco

DriesV

Hi Wayne,

Quote from: wayneheim on January 23, 2020, 07:19:08 AM
Currently when you import a file into a scene that has multiple model sets, the default is to automatically add it to every model set of the scene.

This only happens if multiple Model Sets are active (checked) before import. As Marco points out, double-clicking on a Model Set will activate/show just that single Model Set. When you then import a new model, this state is respected in the import dialog and only the active Model Set should be checked.

Dries

DriesV

Out of curiosity...
Why are you working with multiple active Model Sets?
I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that workflow. Just curious. :)

Dries

Eric Summers

This seems the same as Edit > Add geometry adding to every active model set. I rarely ever work with only one model set active; my scenes are much more flexible with multiple model sets. It's not uncommon for me to have 5-15 model sets in a given scene.

I know if only one model set is active, the imported part is only added to that set, but then I have to go back through the list and re-check everything. It isn't a big deal, but it is an inconvenience. For me, it would make sense to add geometry or import to the selected model set (or at least have that be an option).

wayneheim

DriesV,

I use the model sets as a quick grouping feature when I'm importing a scene into another scene. I often pull in multiple scenes into the final scene. I was told that model sets were like groups when I asked about this in the beta. It just seems odd to automatically add the imported item to all model sets as default but maybe that's just how I use them. What I really think would be nice is if you could add imported items to a new group. A group can be rotated and moved, etc. where as a model set can not.