Texture Map size / DPI / control

Started by smalldogstudio, January 22, 2020, 05:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalldogstudio

Hello everyone. I have a (possibly) stupid question to do with textures;

I quite often will assign a texture (JPG or PNG) - placing, scaling etc as desired and then wish to update it later for an amended version. I seem to find that the texture placement control defaults back to 'use DPI for scale' even though I have specified an exact size in the properties box. This drives me a bit crazy when I have to reposition/scale the texture again. Does anyone else find this behaviour? Is there a 'best' way to relink to a different texture file? (drag and drop or hotkey) that forces the scale/position to stay the same? ( bit like re-linking an image in InDesign with changing the placement/scale)

I've got some free time over the next day or so, I'll try to do testing to replicate and explore the issue. Any thoughts / ideas would be gratefully received.

best wishes to all you Keyshooters and perhaps I might see some of you at Keyshot World in Huddersfield on 26th Feb in the UK - I'm going!

richardfunnell

I don't know when this was changed, but in previous versions replacing the texture kept the size. The auto-resize can be very frustrating.

However, there is an easy fix: right-click on the texture path and select "Replace and retain size". It will keep the size of your existing texture, perfect for replacing.

Additionally, you can also use this to "up-res" textures when needed. For example, going from a 300dpi to a 2000dpi texture is easy using this method.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: richardfunnell on January 22, 2020, 09:45:14 AM
Additionally, you can also use this to "up-res" textures when needed. For example, going from a 300dpi to a 2000dpi texture is easy using this method.

Whoa. Never thought of that... THANK YOU!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

TGS808

And this is why I'm glad Richard is back. Wizardry!! Oh... the number of times this could have helped me.

smalldogstudio

Thanks Richard - for this 18k gold advice, I will surely try it as soon as I am back in front of KS! I suspected there might be a way to do this. I'm glad I'm not the only one - feel a bit less stupid now

thanks TGS808 for weighing in too.

best wishes

David

Finema

TGS808

Quote from: smalldogstudio on January 23, 2020, 12:58:15 AM
thanks TGS808 for weighing in too.

Well, I didn't offer much besides praise for Richard's wizard skills but you can never have too much of that.  ;)

richardfunnell

haha way too much credit for me! Pretty sure someone at Luxion pointed that out to me at some point, and I definitely didn't program the feature ;)

I just recently had a scenario where I needed to increase the DPI on a scanned texture and after re-scanning it, realized that it'd be a useful tip. Glad you guys agree!

TGS808

Quote from: richardfunnell on January 23, 2020, 04:03:54 PM
haha way too much credit for me! Pretty sure someone at Luxion pointed that out to me at some point, and I definitely didn't program the feature ;)

I just recently had a scenario where I needed to increase the DPI on a scanned texture and after re-scanning it, realized that it'd be a useful tip. Glad you guys agree!

You didn't have to program it, you just had to know it was there. It was completely hidden. I don't think I ever would have thought to right click on a text entry box without being instructed to. Meanwhile, I used this tip within a day of finding out about it. It's gold!

smalldogstudio

Just wanted to circle back on this - I use this literally all the time now. Just done a planogram scene with hundreds, literally, hundreds of packs, used this to rapidly copy the same label texture and change the texture maps without messing up the position and scaling.

thanks again for the tip!

David

Zeltronic