Render on CPU or GPU with this config?

Started by igorko24, January 29, 2020, 12:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

igorko24

Hello,

I got an  Xeon E5-2687W and Nvidia Quadro K5000. Shall I leave it on CPU rendering or switch to GPU rendering?

Rendering with these settings:

64 samples
32 ray bounces
8 antialiasing
8 shadow
4 global illumination
1.5 pixel blur

Sharp shadows - off
Sharper texture filtering – off
Global illumination cash – off

hansolocambo

My recent 2070 Super is hugely more powerful than a K5000 (I had to check as I didn't know at all your card). But I checked with my old GTX 1060 and even that was hugely more powerful than a K5000.
So it's hard to guess. But you still have 1536 CUDA cores which should help a bit in GPU rendering mode. And no RT cores of course.
The best answer I could give : depending on the result expected, you should calculate with both CPU then GPU with a low maximum sample (about 50 ?) and compare at a pixel level both your renders in Photoshop. Then if both look similar and the GPU one was immensely faster. Then... go for GPU with a higher sample value for your final render ;)

igorko24

Quote from: hansolocambo on February 03, 2020, 12:47:41 AM
My recent 2070 Super is hugely more powerful than a K5000 (I had to check as I didn't know at all your card). But I checked with my old GTX 1060 and even that was hugely more powerful than a K5000.
So it's hard to guess. But you still have 1536 CUDA cores which should help a bit in GPU rendering mode. And no RT cores of course.
The best answer I could give : depending on the result expected, you should calculate with both CPU then GPU with a low maximum sample (about 50 ?) and compare at a pixel level both your renders in Photoshop. Then if both look similar and the GPU one was immensely faster. Then... go for GPU with a higher sample value for your final render ;)

I ended up with a machine Z620 - but its equipped with Quadro P5000. Now, the question is, whether stay with that card or go for GTX 2080 - if I upgrade to Keyshot 9.
Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Cpu in the Z620 is 2x Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 3.0GHz, 128 RAM.