CREO sweeps not transferring to KS9?

Started by theAVator, January 30, 2020, 10:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

I'm transferring models from CREO 5 to KS9 via the Creo Plugin. I'm noticing that some pipes/wires/tubes that are created as sweeps (I don't create these models btw) don't get transferred into Keyshot. Is there a particular reason they wouldn't come through? Are there other types of geometry or items that don't get transferred or that can't be transferred to Keyshot from Creo? I thought it just might be when exporting instead of sending to KS, but I'm starting to take notice more when it happens and seems to happen when using either method to transfer geometry.

Keyshot 9 Enterprise
Creo Parametric 5
Keyshot Creo Plugin for Creo 3+

Niko Planke

Hey theAVator,

I Just tried this using:
The latest Plugin *KeyShot 9 Creo3+ 1.1*
KeyShot 9 enterprise
Creo 6

And could not see any problems with sweeps.
Are you chance able to share these files?

theAVator

Due to the sensitivity of the files, I won't be able to share, unless I can pare down and strip all data out if it. I've been trying to hunt down a little further and noticed that on the wiring side, the cables are "...skel.prt" files. Are these handled any differently by chance? The tubing I had I was able to isolate and then export via the plugin and then combine with my other file that was successfully sent to KS9 via the plugin. 

I guess the question still stands, are there any parts or types or representations that aren't supported either through the plugin or through KS itself? If I need to direct my engineering support in a certain direction any of that info would be helpful. It may direct what I need to do in Creo to "pre-process" a file before sending to KS. Thanks!

Niko Planke

Okay i have now tried creating a .skel.prt including a sweep pf a center and point circle along a spline, that works as expected.
There must be something else about those causing them to not be transferred.

Can you tell what kind of shape is sweeped? Concentric circles, Ellipse,  Arc etc.
And along what type of line/spline it is sweeped?

To my knowledge there are no Parts or representations that are known to be unsupported, so any part not being transferred can be considered a bug. 

theAVator

So tracing down further, the most problematic wires are the ones shown in the image. In the tree they show up as cable/bundle segments and cable locations. The image is just a snippet to show an example. In the main window I can't even click on and select the wire, like if I click on it, it doesn't highlight or anything. So I'm not sure if those are handled differently, or generate on the fly, but that seems to be the primary issue. I don't think the skel.part stuff ended up being anything when I searched down deeper. I'll keep working on the sweeps to see if I can add any info on that front but these wires seem to generate the most problems.

Niko Planke

Okay i have some additional information now.
My understanding was that the pipes/wires/tubes were created using the normal sweep feature.

But it looks like those are created using the engineering applications inside Creo.
Geometry created using these is sadly not possible to retrieve via the available API and will not be transferred.

I could not find a working way myself to convert these into transferable geometry.

I did however find this article which might help, but given that i am not an expert in creo,i had trouble following the instructions: https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/piping/piping/utilizing_the_pipe_segment_to_create_add_features.html

theAVator

Sorry, Originally I thought they were all sweeps, which ended up not being the case. The original item that was of issue was a sweep, but upon inspecting the other items closer they turned out to be these other cables which presented as the same issue.

I did find this:
http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/electrical_design/cable/To_Export_Cabling_Geometry.html

SO I tried exporting an IGES, however when I tried to import into KS, it gave an error stating there was no geometry.
My next thought was a different format, so I exported a STP file and it seems to have worked - all cabling is in fact present.
Not sure if other formats are better suited and/or lighter to work with, but this will work for now.