2019 MacBook Pro 16-inch 8-Core i9 2.3 GHz ≈ 150 FPS

Started by richardfunnell, February 07, 2020, 10:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardfunnell

Picked up a 16-inch MacBook Pro to replace my earlier gen 15"; benchmark is a solid improvement. Upgraded to the i9 (although not the fastest) and happy with the results.

mattjgerard

Man I'm jealous. I was playing with one at the store the other day when I was getting my trusty iphone 7 battery replaced. Wondering if it was a viable upgrade to my 2015 15". I don't do much billable work on my laptop anymore, so not sure I can justify the outlay for it, but good to hear that they are still viable. I'll always have a soft spot for OSX as my fav operating system, even if I do 90% of my work on Pc's now.

richardfunnell

Man, after running KeyShot for 8 hours a day on this laptop at a recent training, I realized that it's not able to sustain peak output AND keep a full charge on the battery while plugged in. I kept an eye on the battery and it would drop a few percentage points per hour :/ Last night I tried to replicate with the Intel Power Gadget and came to the same result.

The specs are great, but I think that the laptop architecture isn't designed to handled sustained loads (even with a bigger power brick to accommodate the increased usage) for hours on end. I may be taking it into an Apple store to see if it's an issue with this machine or a limitation on the design itself.

Hopefully this is an issue with my laptop, it'd be a bummer to spend $3k on a laptop that's not able to handle the i9 power requirements :/

Will Gibbons

Wow. That's interesting. Sorry to hear, but thanks for mentioning it Richard. Still. It's a fast laptop. I'm guessing it won't be too much trouble if you're mostly doing higher-level work on a workstation.

mattjgerard

Unfortunately those results don't surprise me. Running CPU full bore on a laptop for extended periods of time is probably one of the rarest scenarios out there for laptops. Even with high end video editing, encoding, compiling and all that, the CPU is working in bursts, and the ramp up and ramp down times are probably enough to let the system keep up with each other. I would be wary for the thermal throttling happening too on the CPU. Once again, apple giving up function for the sake of form. Makes me sad, I really want to keep buying apple products but they keep giving me reasons not to. I'd be OK with the thing being a couple Mm's bigger to make sure it had the internals to not loose steam like you noted.