Can't. make it. look. real. help!

Started by designandiogo, February 14, 2020, 06:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

designandiogo

Hello there everyone!  :)

So this week I decided to model and render a couple of images of what I consider to be the first product I designed back when I was 16 (I know I know.. a toilet brush, very exciting haha). I would love to get some feedback from you wizards on what to improve in this scene. It's not complete yet, but I already feel like something's missing (quite a lot, actually)

I'm using an Area light to simulate the sun (tried to use sun & sky, didn't really work)
Landscape is an Emissive plane with a photography
Have 8 spotlights on the ceiling of the bathroom, very dim, just to fill in a bit
Also using photography mode to slightly adjust some of my shadows and highlights

There's something wrong with the rug, obviously. I've got that problem with other materials before, but if I change the specularity of them, those dots tend to go away. It's not working for this little fella. Any idea?

Other than that feel free to comment or criticize! And as usual thank you so much to all of you for the help  ;D

HaroldL

Geez, off hand I think what's missing is a sense of privacy. I'd feel a little more than exposed using that bathroom.

jet1990

I often encounter these hot spot issues ( i think it has something to do with the type of lights you are using - i think emmissive lights are to blame in most instances)

You could take the image into photoshop and use the spot healing tool or add a duplicate layer with the "dust and scratches" effect to get rid of some of it?

mattjgerard

Is that a bidet or a really low sink?

Or both?

I want to think that there some 1 way mirror stuff going on the glass wall.

But the dots are a combo of your physical lights and specularity on the edges of all those little tiny hairs on the rug. Try dialing the specular all the way back and see if they go away, or try a totally diffuse material on the rug and see if the go away. Its troubleshooting. Just start turning things off until they go away, then figure that out from there.

DMerz III

Curious - have you tried using the 'photographic' mode in Image Styles panel? I think you're using Basic right now? I could be wrong, but I think you'll see a big change in your tonal range when you switch to that - will handle the 'brightness' of your lights a little better, IMO.

I could be dead wrong - but that's where I'd start!

As for simulating the sun- Area light could work - Point light is also another option that might want to try.

designandiogo

Quote from: jet1990 on February 26, 2020, 08:05:47 AM
I often encounter these hot spot issues ( i think it has something to do with the type of lights you are using - i think emmissive lights are to blame in most instances)

You could take the image into photoshop and use the spot healing tool or add a duplicate layer with the "dust and scratches" effect to get rid of some of it?

Most of the times I use photoshop afterwards, but it would be nice to get rid of them still in keyshot  :)
Meanwhile I managed to get rid of most of them - I believe it had to do with the physical lights having a large radious, or at least I think it was in this scenario.

Either way thank you for the tip!

designandiogo

Quote from: mattjgerard on February 26, 2020, 08:29:31 AM
Is that a bidet or a really low sink?

Or both?

I want to think that there some 1 way mirror stuff going on the glass wall.

But the dots are a combo of your physical lights and specularity on the edges of all those little tiny hairs on the rug. Try dialing the specular all the way back and see if they go away, or try a totally diffuse material on the rug and see if the go away. Its troubleshooting. Just start turning things off until they go away, then figure that out from there.

Haha it's a bidet! But it can work as a really low sink as well I suppose  ;D

You're right on the rug. I tried changing the specularity a bit and it helped, and what also helped quite a bit was changing the Fuzz from Cylinder back to Ribbon.

As for the glass wall, for sure. Although this (in theory) is suppose to be a very isolated house, facing a cliff, whith little to no neighbors apart from a couple of birds from now and then  ;)

designandiogo

Quote from: DMerz III on February 26, 2020, 08:46:53 AM
Curious - have you tried using the 'photographic' mode in Image Styles panel? I think you're using Basic right now? I could be wrong, but I think you'll see a big change in your tonal range when you switch to that - will handle the 'brightness' of your lights a little better, IMO.

I could be dead wrong - but that's where I'd start!

As for simulating the sun- Area light could work - Point light is also another option that might want to try.

I'm using the photographic mode, and meanwhile I also refined the scene and it sure helped! I've also changed to a tilt-shift camera lens to correct the vertical lines of the walls. Appreciate the help! :)

Here's a screenshot of the current stage:

RRIS

Those doors in combination with the grass have me scratching my head a little.. I would expect to see some tiles or a concrete strip outside before the grass starts, because now you shear off grass when you close the doors.
The floor seems to be raw concrete with some paint over it. It's kind of rough for a bathroom, not sure if I'd like walking barefoot on that.
The pool seems tiny, shorter than those deck chairs.
The hallway is a little bit confusing as well, it seems narrow from this angle, so the decision to put a plant there is a bit odd. I would leave out that plant and those paintings and try to keep the focus on the main area.
Finally your environment.. it seems this apartment was built on the highest peak in the mountain range, and judging by those mountains, it's probably really difficult to access. I would pick a different background, something a bit less extreme.

designandiogo

Quote from: RRIS on February 27, 2020, 12:07:53 AM
Those doors in combination with the grass have me scratching my head a little.. I would expect to see some tiles or a concrete strip outside before the grass starts, because now you shear off grass when you close the doors.
The floor seems to be raw concrete with some paint over it. It's kind of rough for a bathroom, not sure if I'd like walking barefoot on that.
The pool seems tiny, shorter than those deck chairs.
The hallway is a little bit confusing as well, it seems narrow from this angle, so the decision to put a plant there is a bit odd. I would leave out that plant and those paintings and try to keep the focus on the main area.
Finally your environment.. it seems this apartment was built on the highest peak in the mountain range, and judging by those mountains, it's probably really difficult to access. I would pick a different background, something a bit less extreme.

Hey Renze! Thank you for the detailed answer!  :)
I must admit that I ended up agreeing with a lot of what you said. I'm still looking for a landscape that could better fit this scenario, but meanwhile I've made a couple of changes. Thanks once again!

MM46

I think it's a good image. The only thing I would change is the sunlight angle
The colour and softness of the light suggests 'evening' to me. If this is the case shouldn't the sunlight be lower in the sky?

Paul Lang

If your looking for that realism I would start with your materials as your lighting is not that far off. Most of the materials in this scene are out of scale and a tad cartoonish. Here are a few suggestions to help.

1. The wood floor is way too big and typically wouldn't find hardwood in the bathroom, I would try a tile material.
2. The strip outside the window seems to have some perspective issues, I would use a different material like concrete.
3. Concrete wall texture outside is too small would increase scaling about 15% - 20%.
4. Grass is too translucent, causing lack of contrast and detail.
5. Stone path: would try searching for a good PBR material and watch your scale, I would try a more linear style paver to match the architecture.
6. Carpet texture is also too big, try reducing fibre length but increase fibre thickness a tad and perhaps a lighter color.
7. Furniture textures, also a tad large and missing some roughness/specularity maps to define the details. Would also use PBR materials here too.
8. Pool water could use a slight ripple.
9. Railing panels would look great if they were glass to enjoy the view while in the pool.
9. Try reducing sharp edges in your geometry as much as possible slight rounded edges will reduce the cg/fake look

You're well on your way and look forward to seeing the next round.

cheers,

Paul

designandiogo

Quote from: Paul Lang on March 12, 2020, 03:21:33 PM
If your looking for that realism I would start with your materials as your lighting is not that far off. Most of the materials in this scene are out of scale and a tad cartoonish. Here are a few suggestions to help.

1. The wood floor is way too big and typically wouldn't find hardwood in the bathroom, I would try a tile material.
2. The strip outside the window seems to have some perspective issues, I would use a different material like concrete.
3. Concrete wall texture outside is too small would increase scaling about 15% - 20%.
4. Grass is too translucent, causing lack of contrast and detail.
5. Stone path: would try searching for a good PBR material and watch your scale, I would try a more linear style paver to match the architecture.
6. Carpet texture is also too big, try reducing fibre length but increase fibre thickness a tad and perhaps a lighter color.
7. Furniture textures, also a tad large and missing some roughness/specularity maps to define the details. Would also use PBR materials here too.
8. Pool water could use a slight ripple.
9. Railing panels would look great if they were glass to enjoy the view while in the pool.
9. Try reducing sharp edges in your geometry as much as possible slight rounded edges will reduce the cg/fake look

You're well on your way and look forward to seeing the next round.

cheers,

Paul

Hi there Paul! Thank you so much for the input! I must admit that I agree with you, my materials are not helping out (I mainly used PBR's I downloaded, but low resolution ones). I will eventually invest in a poliigon subscription or similar.
Most of the scene is also not modelled by myself, which could result in worse quality overall. The "cartoonish" look is something I also agree and would love to get away from.
I'll try to correct those aspects in my next attempts, but for now, here's this final image :)

Then again thank you for the attention,

Diogo