Graduated "waves" in floor?

Started by Bob Savage, February 17, 2020, 08:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Savage

Anybody know what could cause the graduated "waves" I'm seeing in the floor on the model where the key is laying?  I've played with shadow, refraction and the floor material settings but can't seem to make it go away. 

I don't know that it's the end of the world, it just looks unnatural... or does it? 

INNEO_MWo

I would try to increase the ray bounces. Guess that the light doesn't travel in that tiny gaps, that are shown as dark areas in the ground reflection.
And you can try to use a ground plane with a reflective material instead of "ground reflection" options of the environment.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

Bob Savage

Thanks Marco!

Appreciate the suggestinos.  Neither seem to have solved the problem but I'm still playing with options.

richardfunnell

Have you tried saving out a 16-bit PSD file instead of a JPG?

To me it looks like a banding issue; might be due to the subtle gradient and not enough depth in an 8-bit image like a JPG/PNG.

Bob Savage

Quote from: richardfunnell on February 17, 2020, 01:19:48 PM
Have you tried saving out a 16-bit PSD file instead of a JPG?

To me it looks like a banding issue; might be due to the subtle gradient and not enough depth in an 8-bit image like a JPG/PNG.

Hi Richard,

I haven't yet but will now that you've suggested it.  The bands do appear in the real time render display within Keyshot as well.

Thanks for the input!

richardfunnell

Bob Savage

Quote from: richardfunnell on February 17, 2020, 06:02:46 PM
Oh wait, are you using Vignette?

I checked just to make sure, it's not enabled.

DMerz III

Interior or Product mode?

Not sure if it would make a difference, but I would play with the Shadow Quality slider in the environment tab too if you haven't tried already.

But, I do think this is actually a 'gamut' problem. sRGB color space doesn't have a ton of 'colors' available at that saturation - and you're probably going to get that banding regardless of your settings.

If you have the luxury of comping in the bg color in post, I would do that.

Render with product mode to get transparent shadow - on white, have your shadow as a separate layer in Photoshop set to Multiply on that solid blue color. You might be able to get a smooth transition if you're using greyscale values instead of 'dark blues' to 'darker blues'.

Hope that makes sense.

Bob Savage

I haven't had the opportunity to revisit this model scene but thank you all for the feedback!