Fuzz Direction can't take a gradient?

Started by mattjgerard, February 20, 2020, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

So, I'm finally diving into the Fuzz stuff, and in the manual it shows the Fuzz Direction using either a Normal map or a Cellular procedural texture. But- it appears that you can't use a B+W gradient texture in the direction node. Not sure it will take the B+W cellular texture and not the gradient?

Is there a comprehensive list of what ports will accept which assets? If there are limitations, it would be great to have a list in the manual of each node page of which nodes will accept what items? Doesn't always make sense why some will take some textures and some won't.

soren

Hi Matt

The direction texture needs a normal map. Most procedural textures have a normal map that is closely related to but not the same as the color output. In principle the two outputs (color vs normal/bump) is completely separate. If you go to the bump texture the available types in the texture type dropdown shows the nodes that can be used with bump/normals and therefore also with Fuzz direction.

Hope this helps
Søren

mattjgerard

Quote from: Søren on February 26, 2020, 10:59:59 AM
Hi Matt

The direction texture needs a normal map. Most procedural textures have a normal map that is closely related to but not the same as the color output. In principle the two outputs (color vs normal/bump) is completely separate. If you go to the bump texture the available types in the texture type dropdown shows the nodes that can be used with bump/normals and therefore also with Fuzz direction.

Hope this helps
Søren

Thanks Soren, than makes some bit of sense. I will put in an offical request though to have  a listing in each node of what sort of inputs will take what sort of source. Even if its a generic one. I'll  start by making my own, just for quick reference.

Thanks again!