Multi-Displacements nodes

Started by trappistmonk, March 04, 2020, 02:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trappistmonk

Hello guys,

I am builidng a scene and I would like to know if it is possible to have 2 displacement maps in 2 different material nodes ?

Thank you for your help.

INNEO_MWo

No - the displacement is applied to the geometry port of the parent node of the material. That node has only just one geometry port for displacement or the other three geometry shaders.

DMerz III

INNEO is correct. However- some people have done the trick where you apply the displacement - export the model (effectively 'baking' in the displacement - ie. no longer editable displacement parameters) then reimport the baked mesh and apply a separate displacement.

This does lead to some issues - such as creating a really really heavy polygonal model - but it is entirely possible depending on what you're trying to do.

Personally - I like to apply my displacement in Blender (my modeling program of choice)- mostly because that is where I have always done it and am most comfortable there. But it's the same concept - the displacement is baked into the model and if I wanted, I could add a separate displacement while in Keyshot.