Main Menu

Show Studios some love

Started by andy.engelkemier, March 06, 2020, 07:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I'd love for Model sets and multi materials to be persistent.
You can only have one camera, environment, and image style selected. So drop downs make sense.

But you will likely have multiple model sets. In my case, each group is made of around 8 different model sets chosen from combinations of 16 (soon to grow for more positions) model sets.

Then there are the multi-materials. There might be quite a few of those as well, so it would be nice to have those presented differently.
I'd like them as collapsible dropdowns. Right now, even though it's one dropdown, it's not long enough. I have to scroll, a Lot.

I'd also like to see the ability to group studios into folders. Say you have 6 color variations of 3 model variations with 3 camera shots. Well, do the math on that. You're going to be scrolling frequently. So I might choose to do groups for camera shots or model variations at least, or both. Let the user decide. But right now, once you get past 15 or so studios, it's just a big long list. I DO appreciate that you can move the order around, unlike the cameras tab.

And lastly for studios, I'd like direct render to network. Right now I have to add my studios to queue, then submit to network. If you're doing 36 renders it can take 20 minutes (not even exaggerating) just to add the studios to the queue. Then you come back to actually submit the job. I haven't timed it out, but I Think it might be faster to just submit them one at a time, but that's Your time. You could at least use that time to take a quick walk.
But this means I can't submit jobs all the way at the end of the day. I have to make sure and plan 30 minutes ahead of when I want to leave. So nice, but I'd love to see some love given here. Select some studios, and submit to network. With the global naming system in place, the names are taken care of.

edit: I forgot one
I'd like to be able to select multiple studios and change the same elements on those at once.
So select multiple and it shows you in banked out things that have a difference (like camera would show blank if they have different cameras). Show regular things that are the same.

So say 10 studios now need an added model set. Oops, you forgot the ground plane. Currently, change to one, add it. Change to the next, add it, and repeat.
But I'd rather just highlight all of them, and add the ground plane.
If one of them already has it, the item would show as grey meaning at least one has it, and some do not. Selecting it would either clear the check or add it for all of the items (doesn't Really matter which) and you can make them consistent at that point.

Or you've added a Bunch of studios while in the wrong image style! Shoot, it might take a while to fix those 30 that are wrong.

Editing multiple studios at once Could be done, and it could save us time. Changes and mistakes happen. Please help us make those fixes faster.

richardfunnell

+1 on this. Studios are an awesome tool, but they feel incredibly clumsy when making changes or navigating beyond a simple scene. I regularly have 30+ studios that are relatively simple variations on multi-materials, cameras, environments, and model sets; but I find that I have to painstakingly manage each variable in a UI that's not very ideal for the job. Folders/hierarchy/something would be great :)

Not sure if this has been fixed, but in my scene the list of Studios does not match the list to add to the render queue (it randomly reorders them). This means instead of simply adding them in order, I have to individually find each studio and check/uncheck them. Kind of maddening when I have a huge list and have to *find* each studio.

mattjgerard

Quote from: richardfunnell on March 06, 2020, 08:43:33 AM
Not sure if this has been fixed, but in my scene the list of Studios does not match the list to add to the render queue (it randomly reorders them). This means instead of simply adding them in order, I have to individually find each studio and check/uncheck them. Kind of maddening when I have a huge list and have to *find* each studio.

Has not been fixed.Ongoing irritation when I do long lists of iterative images, or build on long lists of hundreds of similar products, and render out in batches.

PhilipTh

Quote from: mattjgerard on March 06, 2020, 08:46:42 AM

Has not been fixed.Ongoing irritation when I do long lists of iterative images, or build on long lists of hundreds of similar products, and render out in batches.

This has been fixed in a coming update.

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on March 06, 2020, 07:50:03 AM
I'd love for Model sets and multi materials to be persistent.
You can only have one camera, environment, and image style selected. So drop downs make sense.

But you will likely have multiple model sets. In my case, each group is made of around 8 different model sets chosen from combinations of 16 (soon to grow for more positions) model sets.

Then there are the multi-materials. There might be quite a few of those as well, so it would be nice to have those presented differently.
I'd like them as collapsible dropdowns. Right now, even though it's one dropdown, it's not long enough. I have to scroll, a Lot.

I'd also like to see the ability to group studios into folders. Say you have 6 color variations of 3 model variations with 3 camera shots. Well, do the math on that. You're going to be scrolling frequently. So I might choose to do groups for camera shots or model variations at least, or both. Let the user decide. But right now, once you get past 15 or so studios, it's just a big long list. I DO appreciate that you can move the order around, unlike the cameras tab.

And lastly for studios, I'd like direct render to network. Right now I have to add my studios to queue, then submit to network. If you're doing 36 renders it can take 20 minutes (not even exaggerating) just to add the studios to the queue. Then you come back to actually submit the job. I haven't timed it out, but I Think it might be faster to just submit them one at a time, but that's Your time. You could at least use that time to take a quick walk.
But this means I can't submit jobs all the way at the end of the day. I have to make sure and plan 30 minutes ahead of when I want to leave. So nice, but I'd love to see some love given here. Select some studios, and submit to network. With the global naming system in place, the names are taken care of.

edit: I forgot one
I'd like to be able to select multiple studios and change the same elements on those at once.
So select multiple and it shows you in banked out things that have a difference (like camera would show blank if they have different cameras). Show regular things that are the same.

So say 10 studios now need an added model set. Oops, you forgot the ground plane. Currently, change to one, add it. Change to the next, add it, and repeat.
But I'd rather just highlight all of them, and add the ground plane.
If one of them already has it, the item would show as grey meaning at least one has it, and some do not. Selecting it would either clear the check or add it for all of the items (doesn't Really matter which) and you can make them consistent at that point.

Or you've added a Bunch of studios while in the wrong image style! Shoot, it might take a while to fix those 30 that are wrong.

Editing multiple studios at once Could be done, and it could save us time. Changes and mistakes happen. Please help us make those fixes faster.

Thank you! This is great feedback!

We will see what we can do about improving the workflow of creating studios.
I do agree that it could use some power features to increase the productivity for more advanced users.

mafrieger

+1 for making usage of studios and daily work with them more efficient

Eric Summers

Quote from: PhilipTh on March 09, 2020, 12:54:15 AM
Quote from: mattjgerard on March 06, 2020, 08:46:42 AM

This has been fixed in a coming update.

Woohoo! That is great to hear! :)
Also, +1 on power features for studios!