.bip thumbnails missing on Windows 10

Started by puyopuyo, March 11, 2020, 03:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puyopuyo

Not sure if this would be better posted on the support board but I figured there should be some other users on this board that can help with this.

Since upgrading to KS9 and unsinstalling a previous Keyshot Version, all Keyhsot users at my company are not seeing windows thumbnails for KS scenes anymore is there a fix for this, without full uninstall and reinstall? I´ve only found this older thread with a manual fix but it´s from 2013: https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=6836.msg32627#msg32627

germannick

I had the same issues with .bip and .png and .psd files. I solved it from clearing the cach file by runing the Windows disk cleanup.

puyopuyo

Quote from: germannick on March 11, 2020, 03:20:08 AM
I had the same issues with .bip and .png and .psd files. I solved it from clearing the cach file by runing the Windows disk cleanup.

Unfortunately this did not work for us, any filetypes except .bip have working thumbnails!

Niko Planke

Hello puyopuyo,

You are correct the Uninstaller will also remove the Preview.
So uninstalling the previous version after Installing KeyShot 9 will have this effect.

We will look into finding a better solution to prevent this from happening.

To fix this you have 2 options.
* You can rerun the full installer using the same installation settings as the current installation.(there should be no need to uninstall first)
* You can register the Preview handler by running the command as outlined in the old solution you found:
regsvr32.exe /s "c:\Program Files\KeyShot9\bin\KeyShot-ih.dll"
You may need to adjust the path to point to your installation directory.

Note: Since the original solution was posted the file changed the name to "KeyShot-ih.dll".

Please let us know if that works for you.

mattjgerard

In trying to fix some other issues I did a full reinstall of KS9, and that got me the thumbnails back for me.

puyopuyo

Quote from: Niko Planke on March 12, 2020, 09:34:01 AM
Hello puyopuyo,

You are correct the Uninstaller will also remove the Preview.
So uninstalling the previous version after Installing KeyShot 9 will have this effect.

We will look into finding a better solution to prevent this from happening.

To fix this you have 2 options.
* You can rerun the full installer using the same installation settings as the current installation.(there should be no need to uninstall first)
* You can register the Preview handler by running the command as outlined in the old solution you found:
regsvr32.exe /s "c:\Program Files\KeyShot9\bin\KeyShot-ih.dll"
You may need to adjust the path to point to your installation directory.

Note: Since the original solution was posted the file changed the name to "KeyShot-ih.dll".

Please let us know if that works for you.

It worked!!!Thanks so much Niko!
We registered the preview handler on all machines with Keyshot. Great to see these thumbnails again!

@matt Glad it worked for you- when we encountered this on my coworkers machine some time ago we tried everything even including a full Windows reinstall...

Eric Summers

I've run into this issue every time I uninstall a beta version, so it's nice to know there's a quick way to get thumbnails back! I usually just wait with it until the next release. It's surprising how much I rely on the thumbnails!

puyopuyo

Quote from: Eric Summers on March 13, 2020, 06:40:42 AM
I've run into this issue every time I uninstall a beta version, so it's nice to know there's a quick way to get thumbnails back! I usually just wait with it until the next release. It's surprising how much I rely on the thumbnails!
Agree- it really gets a lot easier to work with many different scenes when you can see the preview. Judging what scene to open can get pretty confusing when you have to rely on the filename.  ???

ivuzem

EDIT:
I managed to fix my problem. Even though bip files have been correctly set to be opened by Keyshot, and they had the keyshot logo, I went in Properties of one of BIP files, and under Opens with: Keyshot 9, clicked on button Change, and reconfirmed I want Key Shot to open bip files. That fixed it for me.
Cheers

I'm having this problem as well.
It is really annoying, I have tried everything. I have tried updating to 9.2,  even uninstalled completely, with user settings and folders, tried the regsvr32 and nothing. Still no thumbs :(
Next thing would be to try and reinstall windows :/

Any help much needed.
Thanks