Add to Render Queue

Started by Tobias04, March 20, 2020, 07:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobias04

Is it just me or is adding to render Queue very slow. I have a script since Keyshot 7 which could add multiple renderjobs in a few seconds. It now takes about 5 minutes for 6 jobs.
This is just adding, not rendering. Also it doesnt load any new models. It just adds jobs.

You can check that with the sample script "Render Images". It takes about 1 min for 1 file and 1 Job.

regards

Tobias

KeyShot

Nothing should have changed. Are you using network drives for your model? They are typically the culprit when it comes to slowdowns.

Tobias04

No im not using network drives. Everything is localy. I also tested it on a completly diffrent system and it show the same behavior.

regards

Tobias

theAVator

What's your .bip file size? Are you working with a larger file, or this consistent across multiple files and sizes?

Not sure if it works the same as adding to the render queue normally (non-scripting) but When queuing a file it essentially saves a copy of the .bip with whatever settings you had. So if you queue up 5 renders of the same file you end up 5 copies of your original file in the Scenes folder along with an extra file for commands.
Again, not sure if scripting ends up in the same place, or if it eliminates those mostly redundant files. But if it does operate the same way and your files are large, then that would just multiply the time to add to queue.

mattjgerard

Quote from: theAVator on March 25, 2020, 06:52:08 AM
What's your .bip file size? Are you working with a larger file, or this consistent across multiple files and sizes?

Not sure if it works the same as adding to the render queue normally (non-scripting) but When queuing a file it essentially saves a copy of the .bip with whatever settings you had. So if you queue up 5 renders of the same file you end up 5 copies of your original file in the Scenes folder along with an extra file for commands.
Again, not sure if scripting ends up in the same place, or if it eliminates those mostly redundant files. But if it does operate the same way and your files are large, then that would just multiply the time to add to queue.

This is something I've mentioned before, is that I use studios all the time to sort and organize dozens sometimes hundreds of products in one project, and sending each studio would save a copy of the entire project, not just that one studio I have selected. I think they may have done something with this, but I'll have to check.

Tobias04

The File im using in Keyshot 9 is about 0,5mb and is very slow. Normaly the production files are about 10-20mb but they work great in keyshot 8.
There has to be a change affecting this.

If I add something to queue by interface it is instant.

regards

Tobias

designgestalt

I would second that by the way...
adding jobs to the render queue is taking sigificantly longer than with KS8...
I do not see any difference when sending a "normal" job or a "studio" job.
I send jobs from a file with around 12 modelsets the other day, where I rendered 25 frame turntables per modelset and it took ages!
the time it took between one modelset to the next was long enough to drink an espresso :) (couldnĀ“t go to bed that night ...)
I have jobs like this very often, never had this problem with former versions of KS...

cheers
designgestalt

KeyShot

We are investigating it to see if we can reproduce the issue, so it can be resolved.

KeyShot

Are you missing any textures in the scene? We did find a situation where KeyShot would search for textures after adding a file to the queue, which can add some delay in case you have a missing texture and network drives available (that are being searched).

designgestalt

indeed, in the specific scene I was talking about, there is one texture, that is on a drive that is no longer existing!
In fact I do not even have that texture anymore under the name  that KS is referring to.
Since there is no possibility to change the texture, when opening KS (you are only able to change the path, not the texture!) I skip the search when opening the file.
it is a label on one of many materials I have in that scene and I honestly do not know how to trace it down ...
I was always under the impression, that when I skip the search, when opening the file, KS is content and will simply not display the missing texture...
is there a way to easily find which material is missing the texture?
thanks a lot for investigating, this was really driving me nuts !!

cheers
designgestalt

theAVator

@designgestalt
If it was a missing texture the following can be used to track down which material is subject and then rectify it. I'm not sure, however, if it will throw the necessary error for a missing label in a material. So give er a whirl and see if does in fact show an error, otherwise, you might be kinda out of luck.

Go to the Help menu, go down to and click on Log. This should opening the warning message dialogue box. There should be a "Cannot Load Texture" error. This error will show the path to the missing texture and also which material is using it. You can then go to your material tab and then you can search down the list pretty easily for that material, double click to edit it and then either delete or relink the texture as needed/wanted.

Tobias04

Not the problem for my case. I have 3 Objects in it without texture.

KeyShot

We are investigating the missing texture issue to see how it can be optimized. Regarding the scene without textures - the environment is also a texture and any missing backplates or environments would have the same potential effect.

Tobias04

KeyShot

The missing texture can cause a slowdown if you have networked drives attached to your computer. You can investigate if that is the case by disconnecting the networked drives. The reason for this is that when you add to the queue we need to locate all textures in case you decide to send the queue file to the network rendering later (which has to include all the textures). We are continuing to look into how this can be further optimized. If you continue to experience issues then one reason may be if your KeyShot file has a long history in it with references to various texture paths that you no longer use. Since we want to ensure that textures can be found these paths are maintained even if you clear out or replace geometry in your scene. If you start a new project instead the paths will not be used and it will be faster.

Since this question is under scripting, I can add that, the script used to add files to the queue has been optimized. Are you using scripting to add to the queue?