Render Noise / Jaggy's Question

Started by nick888, April 07, 2020, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick888

Hello,

I'm hoping for a couple pointers on the scene below.

It includes an emissive ring (simulating a strip of LEDs) beneath a cloudy plastic cover, a couple spotlights (one on the side, the other pointing straight down to illuminate the ground because the emissive ring didn't provide enough directional illumination). The body material is white metallic paint.

1. What is the likely source of the noise present (Product Mode, 12hr render on an i7-6800K)?
2. Would the new denoise feature in Keyshot 9 help with this? (e.g Give me a reason to upgrade :)
3. Are there any tips on dealing with the 'jaggy' line where the emissive ring meets the metal?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Nick

Don Cheke

Quote from: nick888 on April 07, 2020, 04:06:22 PM
Hello,

I'm hoping for a couple pointers on the scene below.

It includes an emissive ring (simulating a strip of LEDs) beneath a cloudy plastic cover, a couple spotlights (one on the side, the other pointing straight down to illuminate the ground because the emissive ring didn't provide enough directional illumination). The body material is white metallic paint.

1. What is the likely source of the noise present (Product Mode, 12hr render on an i7-6800K)?
2. Would the new denoise feature in Keyshot 9 help with this? (e.g Give me a reason to upgrade :)
3. Are there any tips on dealing with the 'jaggy' line where the emissive ring meets the metal?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Nick

Are you using the CAD HD version of KeyShot? I had issues with white jaggies until I upgraded to KeyShot Pro.

nick888

Should have mentioned that!

KeyShot Pro 8.2.8

nick888

Just an update.

I discovered the anti-alias option in the custom rendering options dialog, I think that will address the jaggy.

The noise on the main body though, I believe is related to the spotlight where it shines 'through' the material, not actually on it. See the attached screenshot, it's effectively in the 'shadow' of the (now moved for clarity) right hand side spotlight. Where the spotlight is incident on the material, it's OK. But I'm not entirely sure.

mattjgerard

Try makingyour specular on the metal something other than pure white. The noise reduction will help a ton, but has the tendency to take out any fine detail on the material or model at the same time. Try to add a falloff to the light on the left to smooth the light being cast at an angle across the model.

nick888

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. I tried that but with no difference.

I've worked out it was to do with the Radius setting in the light source. It even notes that it can 'Create noise in the final result". This setting is a bit of a mystery to me.

Not sure how to get the result I want now, but that's another question.

Thanks.