Possible to send jobs from home to the Network farm?

Started by puyopuyo, March 24, 2020, 03:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puyopuyo

My team is working from home at the moment and we are stuck to using our private computers for rendering because on our work computers KS9 doesn´t startup remotely.
Is there any way to send KSP files that come from a home computer to the master at the workplace network farm, so that it can be processed on the farm?

mattjgerard

The only way that I can figure out how to do this is via a VPN. I had to learn a lot about what that is, since I'm not a network guy. Unfortunately at my work, I am not considered high priority, so they are limiting VPN
access to business critical areas like sales, customer service and engineering. I would guess that if you IT dept can somehow expose the master to the outside world (probably breaking loads of security protocols in the
process) it could work.

3D Off the Page

This is basically how you would connect to 3Dotp.  We use KeyShot NR without any 3rd party plugins.

It can be done without using a VPN connection.  You will need to have your IT department setup your firewall to allow traffic to and from the NR ports from your external IP address to the Master internal IP address.  For an added level of security they can setup a certificate to verify the remote computers accessing the master.

DMerz III

Yes - we are in a similar situation for our studio, everyone is working from home and lost access to our onsite farm. We were already using 3DoTP dedicated NR service, and we decided the best option would be to increase our core count with them and just send out all our jobs to that dedicated service. Everyone has been able to connect just fine from home to that and we're glad to have that option!

puyopuyo

Thank you for your replies everyone!
Definitely will look into the options of using your service @3D Off the page , do you have many customers that render 4k or higher resolution animations?

Had a feeling you are in a similar situation David, since we have similar professions! :D
So there is no way to execute the render from the master if the KSP is already in the same network as the farm?