fbx import - file size seems wrong

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 28, 2020, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but we'll see.

Container modeled in blender. 1MB file there. Exported FBX, 12MB. Imported filesize, 79MB.
ok, thought maybe I didn't need 4 subdivisions on it, reduced to 3. FBX size then 4MB. Keyshot filesize now, 76MB.

Where is all that size coming from? When I get back to that one I'll try OBJ instead. I just thought FBX would be nice since it can carry more information.
I was in a hurry, so may have overlooked a setting. The size discrepancy just seems crazy. I did confirm also, it's the same number of polygons. Confirmed with visible triangles in blender and compared to keyshot heads up display.

KeyShot

Can you share the file with us? Or perhaps the fbx file? A few items in the file compared to the FBX is the icon for the scene, and other configurations, but those should not add to that many MB.

andy.engelkemier

I scrapped it and started a new file once I had time to work on it again. It is 19.6MB now. The fbx is 4.34MB. That still seems like a pretty big difference, but that's at least reasonable.
I was just curious what could cause such a large size discrepancy. I Am curious about the one setting though..."Curve radius modifier". The documentation doesn't say much more than what the name of it is. I know fbx can hold curves, but since they don't have geometry I figured they would be ignored in keyshot. Or is that referring to animation curves?

Erik Williams

Hello Andy,
Without a sample we really can't give a reason as to the size discrepancy, but there was previously an issue in the way Blender exports curves. I do not know if they have solved it yet, but it may be related to the size issue. If you only need the deformable mesh, then you can export with 'Selected Objects Only' to avoid including the bezier curves.

Curves can be imported directly through KeyShot. I would recommend against using LiveLink plugins as this can cause errors updating the geometry.

andy.engelkemier

Well that's the odd thing. I don't need deformable mesh, or animation, and there are no curves.

This one is more reasonable, so maybe it was just a fluke. I may have updated to the latest keyshot since then as well? I can't remember. It's a pretty basic part, and the keyshot file ended up being about 6MB. The blender file is about that as well, and the fbx was around 1.2MB.

So not sure what the size discrepancy was.
The reason I'm bouncing through blender is to clean up some of the downloaded models. Even paid models usually need cleanup. Also it has a direct importer from sketchfab free models, which is pretty awesome. Saving the steps of saving a file I'm going to edit anyway saves some time. PBR materials save a TON of time. When is keyshot going to have a material better suited for PBR textures? Doing things that way would probably make VR translation easier.