Material Graph

Started by h15c0r3r, May 04, 2020, 06:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h15c0r3r

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is keeping well?

I've been using the material graph for quite a while but never fully understood what the Ratio and + symbol button do at the bottom of the node (image attached).

Any help would be much appreciated.

TGS808

h15c0r3r

Hi TGS808, I understand how to use the Weight settings from the other menu but what I'm not sure of is how to use it directly on the node. For example what would I connect to the + node?

Many thanks.

TGS808

You can connect either the same images/nodes you are using for Bump 1 and Bump 2 or any other image/node that you can use for a bump map. Once the image/node is connected, you can use a utility node (like Color to Number for example) to control/adjust the image.

Berube

Hola,

The plus sign is to connect to additional, non listed channels. Drag a map's output over the plus sign and you will see the additional channels appear as a drop down. This is simply to keep the nodes approachable and efficient while offering extra control if needed.

The ratio is to drive where you want "Bump 1" and "Bump 2" to show. A black and white checker would reveal "Bump 1" in the white squares, and "Bump 2" in the black squares. A grey map would distribute both bump maps equally but mixed at 50% each. This could be a good way to handle a brick bump with a grout bump. (White mask  for the bricks and black mask for the grout)

Hope this helps!

-Berube
www.johnberube.com