Cutaway Include instead of exclude

Started by mattjgerard, May 07, 2020, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Really would be helpful to have the ability to include objects instead of excluding. I'm more often than not I'm just trying to cut one or a couple objects and its tough to manage going through and just finding the one thing to include.

DaniS

Recently I had the same thought - thumbs up!
Maybe it would be a good idea to give the user the choice between including and excluding.

INNEO_MWo

Hello Matt.

Stacking a second geometry cut material inside a big one will cut the outside and you can exclude unwanted pasts.

But +1 one that!

Cheers
Marco

theAVator

Yes Yes yes! So many yeses on this!

I'm not sure about how they would implement this as your cutting material is applied to a different object that cuts through. You would have to set the default to actually cut nothing and then based on your choice either include all with exceptions, or include only certain objects. Or maybe it's just a toggle that switches the behavior once applied?? would be nice to have in any case.

mattjgerard

Quote from: theAVator on May 08, 2020, 10:45:33 AM
Yes Yes yes! So many yeses on this!

I'm not sure about how they would implement this as your cutting material is applied to a different object that cuts through. You would have to set the default to actually cut nothing and then based on your choice either include all with exceptions, or include only certain objects. Or maybe it's just a toggle that switches the behavior once applied?? would be nice to have in any case.

Just make the object field in the material switchable between Exclude/Include. I just want to be able to place my cutaway object and drag in the object I want to cut, not drag in all the other objects I don't want to cut.

But yes, by default you would not see any change until you dragged in the object you wanted to cut.