Procedural Rope and anchor

Started by nicordf, May 12, 2020, 07:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicordf

Hi there!

During quarantine, and after I read Sebastien Deguy's paper about procedural texturing, I've become obsessed with creating these materials. There is something about them being resolution agnostic that draws me in. It is really challenging, but the results can be really convincing.

I haven't find a way to achieve realistic grunge maps though, any thoughts?

Anyway, I've modeled in Rhino a rope and anchor just for the sake of material creation. I'm afraid I spent way more time than I wanted to, but It helped me to create and tweak a procedural rope (it requires UV mapping) and a bronze patina that I wanted to share the high res images with you. I had a somewhat disappointing work experience last week, so as a assumed nerd feel better measure, I felt like I needed to push my limits with KeyShot and boost my abilities at least a tiny bit.

Hope you like them!

Josh3D

Wow. I just can't stop looking at it. This looks incredible, Nick!

LM6

I'am giving this the thumbs up, looks great,  have you ever tried Substance Painter?

nicordf

Quote from: LM6 on May 12, 2020, 08:42:50 AM
I'am giving this the thumbs up, looks great,  have you ever tried Substance Painter?

Thanks! I have! (the paper I mentioned is from allegorithmic's ceo haha) but haven't figured out a way of incorporating substance to my workflow seamlessly.
It's incredible how powerful substance can be though!

nicordf

Quote from: Josh3D on May 12, 2020, 07:49:56 AM
Wow. I just can't stop looking at it. This looks incredible, Nick!

Thanks Josh! I may have to optimize the rope material a bit, it increases the rendering time greatly

DerekCicero

That's a great image. Nice work.

Matt Hanzly

abedsabeh

KeyShot

Zeltronic

Finema

LM6

Quote from: nicordf on May 12, 2020, 08:51:07 AM

Thanks! I have! (the paper I mentioned is from allegorithmic's ceo haha) but haven't figured out a way of incorporating substance to my workflow seamlessly.

hahaha i didn't notice the name at first

Ive never used Rhino.....Can I ask, are you setting UVs inside of Rhino or inside of Keyshot?

NM-92

Just throwing a +1 here. Nice !

nicordf

Thanks everyone for their kind words!

Quote from: LM6 on May 13, 2020, 05:29:49 AM

Ive never used Rhino.....Can I ask, are you setting UVs inside of Rhino or inside of Keyshot?

I edited the UVs inside Rhino actually. While a bit rudimentary, their UV is quite handy, specially having in mind that it's CAD based and not polygonal modelling. Rhino has the added advantage of being really cheap for a CAD software, and comes with grashopper (node based parametric modelling) as a module.

LM6

Quote from: nicordf on May 13, 2020, 10:30:01 AM

Thanks everyone for their kind words!

Quote from: LM6 on May 13, 2020, 05:29:49 AM

I edited the UVs inside Rhino actually. While a bit rudimentary, their UV is quite handy, specially having in mind that it's CAD based and not polygonal modelling. Rhino has the added advantage of being really cheap for a CAD software, and comes with grashopper (node based parametric modelling) as a module.

Ahh ok, all makes sense now with the UVs

Cheers