Water Droplets - How to increase the overall size and size variation

Started by ldichiara, May 21, 2020, 12:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldichiara

Hi All
Hoping someone can provide some guidance. I have a mascara pack that I am rendering and I am trying to simulate a deco effect of water droplets on the surface of the package. I am doing this through the use of a displacement map and spot texture. It works, however my droplets are very small in size. What I need to do is get these increased but also I need to show a variation in size so I want very large drops alongside smaller ones (a sense of randomness for lack of a better description)
Any suggestions on how to achieve this? I've played with the scale and randomness sliders in material graph but without much success.

Lenny

INNEO_MWo

Hello ldichiara.

Open the Subparameters of 'Levels' in the spot texture options and change 'Level Scale' to a lower or higher value. This changes the size variation between the levels.

Cheers
Marco

ldichiara

Marco - Thank you.
One other question for everyone. I am using the SPOTS texture to generate the droplets. What I am finding is that the droplets are round in profile but not semi-circles - they have flattened tops.
If I wanted to get a true half circle or close to it - is it the a setting within the spots texture or do I need to use a different one? I am using a displacement in the material graph as well to create the effect.

Thank you for the help.

L

ldichiara

See attached pic for the flattened tops I am referring to.

L

Eric Summers

Hey Lenny,

If you have KeyShot Pro, you could also try using Flakes with the Spherical shape option. That would give you more flexibility for droplet size and they would be true spheres.

ldichiara

Thanks Eric! - I'll give that a go and see how it works out.
Appreciate it.

Lenny