Magic Material (Multilayer Optics?)

Started by shadowmodel, May 29, 2020, 04:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowmodel

Hey guys, I'm trying to achieve this magical window material (see attached images) where the glass is reflective silver on the exterior, but still transparent on the interior. My guess is this would best be achieved with a multilayer optics material? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TGS808

The windows on both of your example images look transparent from the exterior as well as the interior so, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want. But... if you want it, as you said, reflective on the exterior and transparent on the interior you can try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2iQiycb3OU

Note, that Esben was doing this in KS6. You can still do it in KS9 but turning on the experimental features is no longer a checkbox like in this video.

To turn them on in KS9:
Open the ks9settings.xml in the resources folder with notepad. Then search (CTRL+F) for "experimental" and change the value from false to true. (<experimental_features bool="true"/>). Save that file and then close it. When you start KeyShot, the Surface Backside Mask utility will be available in the material graph.

shadowmodel

Hey TGS808,

Thanks for the bit of advice on how to do it in KS9. I did see the tutorial Esben Oxholm put up on youtube regarding this. You're right, I need to clarify: I meant reflective not as an absolute quality of the material, but rather a characteristic. I'm sure you've seen window panes where the exterior is dominantly reflective, but not absolutely/opaquely reflective. Windows, where, like the examples shown, you can still make out the objects inside, though not as if it were completely transparent. If you do a search on Google images for "Mercedes f015," you'll notice the main front window is transparent in contrast to the side windows, where the glass is more like privacy mode glass.

Esben's video is fantastic, but I was wondering if there was a way to make the material not 100% opaque reflective, but reflective with the ability to see through it.

Hope this clarifies things. If this isn't possible, I hope Keyshot builds this quality into subsequent updates. This material will be coming up a lot more on everything from products to spaces in the future. For now, I guess we'll just have to do with two separate passes of the material and adjust in photoshop in post.

Thanks again for taking a look at this!

bdesign

shadowmodel

Thank you, bdesign! This was exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate your time and thoughts on this. Many thanks

bdesign

You're welcome. Glad it was helpful.

Cheers,
Eric

TGS808

I like that this entire thread played out nearly identically, two years ago. : ) Esben even pointed to the same video of his that I did. Lol. Though I don't seem to see you here as often as I used to, Eric, it's nice to know you're still out three.

shadowmodel

Yea I feel like a real newbie on this on TSG808. Eric, thank you for being a hero again. Many thanks to everyone here. I'm super grateful for all of your help

Berube

Hi there,

You can always do a "Chrome Material" plugged in as a label on a "Glass Material".

Hope this helps!

-Berube

Attached, the gold chrome, the glass material, and both combined using the label slot.

shadowmodel

Wow, Berube! This is also a really neat trick! Thank you for sharing your examples