Mesh Material Edge

Started by furniture96, June 03, 2020, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furniture96

Hey,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me I would like to try and get the edge of the mesh material to blend out so that the edge of the surface is a solid material where it joins so you only see full perforations.

I look forward to any possible advice or solutions for this.

Thanks in advance!

INNEO_MWo

hope that works for you

Cheers
Marco

furniture96

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply I cannot open the keyshot file as I am only on Keyshot 7. The only thing is I am trying to get the edges of the mesh material to blend out into a solid material around the edge if this makes sense?

Thanks

INNEO_MWo

Or another solution that shows a heavy perforated leather with solid holes - no modelling - just material graph stuff

INNEO_MWo

no - the round edges feature only works with polygons. So you have to model the holes to use it.
For my example you need KeyShot 8 minimum to use the displacement feature.

But in KeyShot 7 you can use a mesh with with a small falloff to use it for the bump channel?!

And does my example look like you're looking for?

BTW - you can download the test version of KeyShot 9 to look into my file.

INNEO_MWo

maybe you can open this file?

I used the mesh with a falloff for a bump and a similar mesh for the opacity channel. This material is not so heavy creating tons of polys caused by the displacement node, like the KeyShot 9 material.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

furniture96

Hi Marco,

Thanks for all this information I really appreciate it, I don't think I explained myself very well.

I would like the edge to solid with no holes to create a border around the edge similar to how the pattern stops in this image?

Thanks!

richardfunnell

What you're looking for is the clipping functionality, which is disabled by default. Enabling it allows you to define a clipping area (width x height) to limit the mesh pattern to a specified area.

If you're trying to use this as an opacity texture, make sure to set Opacity mode to Alpha, and use choose a Hole Alpha mode (under color) to give you sharp holes instead of fuzzy ones.

I made this example in KS9 and exported it to KS6, hope it works.

TGS808

I see Richard has already provided an answer and an example for you. If that's not enough, he also did a nice walk through of it starting about 44 minutes in here:

https://youtu.be/b-zPNOY6zxA

This definitely answers your question.

furniture96

Thanks everyone for your help! I am managing to work it out really appreciate it.

Have a great day.