Started by BenJ, June 09, 2020, 01:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenJ

Hi all,

My current PC setup is as follows:

Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070
32gb RAM

I mainly render detailed car interiors so scenes can be pretty heavy (around 150-200m triangles). While the Threadripper can chew through anything that I throw at it, I would like to explore the benefits of using GPU rendering. Unfortunately when switching over to the 2070, on most scenes I'm getting an out of memory error.

I'm considering upgrading to either a single or dual 2080 Ti setup. Can anyone shed any light on the performance gains I could expect from this GPU setup? Unfortunately I was unable to access the benchmark tool.

Trixtr

I don't  have any benchmarks but you could also consider a pro card such as quadro  or firepro  where you get more memory on a single card. Or a Titan card. Soon you'll have the nvidia 3000 series option too.

Niko Planke

Hello BenJ,

You question has no simple answer.
It very much depends on the Type of models you render, and how complex the geometry is.

I would like to point you to this Blog post https://blog.keyshot.com/keyshot-rendering-performance-amd-cpu-nvidia-gpu
It should be able to give a good understanding of what you need to be aware of.

figure1a

Quote from: BenJ on June 09, 2020, 01:03:11 AM
Hi all,

My current PC setup is as follows:

Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070
32gb RAM

I mainly render detailed car interiors so scenes can be pretty heavy (around 150-200m triangles). While the Threadripper can chew through anything that I throw at it, I would like to explore the benefits of using GPU rendering. Unfortunately when switching over to the 2070, on most scenes I'm getting an out of memory error.

I'm considering upgrading to either a single or dual 2080 Ti setup. Can anyone shed any light on the performance gains I could expect from this GPU setup? Unfortunately I was unable to access the benchmark tool.
You'll also find that CPU vs. GPU rendering can produce very different results. As a whole, I think CPU is better and more accurate. GPU will sometimes be very close (but usually can be done much faster) and sometimes is way off--colors are off, reflections and shadows change, new artifacts are introduced.

I usually use GPU (2080ti) for my preview as I'm working as it is much faster (even with my 3970x processor). But it has screwed me several times as I have wasted hours trying to tweak something that was only there because of the GPU rendering. Several times changing over to CPU fixed everything. Very frustrating.

DriesV

Quote from: figure1a on June 12, 2020, 09:36:07 AM
You'll also find that CPU vs. GPU rendering can produce very different results. As a whole, I think CPU is better and more accurate. GPU will sometimes be very close (but usually can be done much faster) and sometimes is way off--colors are off, reflections and shadows change, new artifacts are introduced.

I usually use GPU (2080ti) for my preview as I'm working as it is much faster (even with my 3970x processor). But it has screwed me several times as I have wasted hours trying to tweak something that was only there because of the GPU rendering. Several times changing over to CPU fixed everything. Very frustrating.

Can you give us concrete examples of where GPU rendering fails or gives incorrect results?

Dries