Flying through KeyVR

Started by jakobjakob, June 10, 2020, 12:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakobjakob

Is there a way to modify the flying controls in order to be able to turn on the spot and also move backwards with the joystick of my oculus headset? The way they are set by default makes it a bit hard to navigate at times.

Jesper Mosegaard

Hi Jakob

KeyVR itself does not allow customizing of controls currently.

Regards. Jesper

jakobjakob

Maybe I am not using them correctly. I would like to move like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2eXK025uC4
Forward/ backwards/ turn on the spot and looking around - Is that possible?
Currently I can teleport and fly forwards with a bit of steering, but without being able to make a u-turn for example.

Jesper Mosegaard

In the fly mode of KeyVR you can
* Fly in the direction you point to with the controller (can be back and side as well)
* Turn your head to look in any direction - independent of the direction you are flying in
* Swipe on Vive controllers / joypad on oculus controllers to turn without moving your head.

rmcclelland

The flying in AltspaceVR is a great example of good intuitive flying. My organization has been using it for meetups. There are two ways to fly, one is by turn on Fly, looking where you want to go, and pressing the thumbstick forward. Also, there is something called the flightstick that provides very precise movement (you have to spawn it from the menu). FYI, flying does not work in all environments, but will work in your home environment in AltspaceVR (which is owned by Microsoft BTW).