Texture pivot to update with updated geometry.

Started by andy.engelkemier, June 12, 2020, 06:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I noticed today a behavior that was unexpected, and probably Not desired.

I have a button that needs a radial brush pattern, and it's on a 20 degree angle. Well, in keyshot you can either get that to be 20 degrees by selecting the face, but then you'll never get it in the center, OR, you can get it to be centered, but you'll never get it at the right angle.
So I figured I'd be smart and import my object at zero, so I could get both. Then just move the object to the correct location by writing down the coordinate and using that in keyshot. Well, That part worked. But I reimported by choosing update. That was great, because my objects kept their materials.
BUT, the object is now at zero, and the texture is using the original coordinates. So the texture is rotated And is now 10,-1,2 inches away from zero (roughly).

So I deleted that geometry, and imported the model again, but without update. Then I applied the same material, and lo and behold, my spun metal is perfectly in the center, and rotated properly. Then I typed in 20degrees, typed in the coordinates for where it needs to be, and it's fixed.

So I was able to get what I needed, but it deosn't makes sense to me that the texture pivot utilizes the original geometry LocRot. If you update the geometry, shoiuldn't that update as well?

Since I put this in the wishlist area, I suppose it would be nice to have a tool that you could control the "fit" better with positioning. I used Wood, which doesn't even have that (and if you haven't tried it yet, that gives the best radial brushed look if you need procedural). But rather than fit, it would be nice to have an option to center. But the issue would be, I would need the texture centered on the part/model, but then move in a single axis to the face. Ideally, the user could do that in any order they wanted. So maybe I'd position and rotate to a face first. Then I just want to center on X and Y, but using that new rotation, so locally. I don't want to change Z in that case, so it sticks to the face (assuming flat in that case).