Collaboration on bip files

Started by chris.boerger@eversys.com, June 22, 2020, 12:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.boerger@eversys.com

Hi
Is it possible to collaborate on a *.bip file meaning two persons working on the same *.bip file of a big assembly but on different model sets.

What is the best workflow for this?

Thanks
Chris

DerekCicero

Not concurrently. At present you'd need a repository like GitHub to host the file and you'd need to check the file in/out as you are each working on it, but it's something we are aware of and are looking at future solutions to how to support this.

chris.boerger@eversys.com

Do you have a tuto / or process on how to do that with GitHub?

PerFotoVDB

We are also very interested n this feature.

Also like to add that the models library is interesting but it doesn't update/propagate in a scene when the original model gets changes.

Kr
Per

mattjgerard

Quote from: PerFotoVDB on September 23, 2020, 04:03:44 AM
We are also very interested n this feature.

Also like to add that the models library is interesting but it doesn't update/propagate in a scene when the original model gets changes.

Kr
Per

I don't think there is any connection whatsoever between models in the library and ones in your scene. I think it would be cool to implement some sort of reference function for models, Cinema 4D calls them XRefs, but not too sure there would be a huge calling for it. Adobe does this with Linked files vs Embedded files, so the user theory is out there on how it would work.

PerFotoVDB

Exactly Matt!!!!

This functionality is lacking and an Xref system (also regarding animation) like C4d, 3dsmax or Maya has is duly overdue in modern and efficient workflows.

I have asked and posted this a few times already but I don't seem to get any traction for it.

Cheers
Per

PerFotoVDB

... additionally. Take a close look at Clarisse's system ;) The idea is brilliant. Files are only kb or mb in size but everything is read from disk and cached.

PerFotoVDB

....again an addition. Instance copy geometry instead of only duplicate :)))

Thanks

mafrieger

all points should be added to wishlist to have them in one place (hopefully some from keyshot looks at them on regulary basis..)
https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?board=8.0

Danieldip

You dont have to explicitly create the -models.php file.

If you want to customize the userpriv.php, simply copy both userpriv.html and userpriv.php files into your Extension side, and customize it that suits your needs.