Main Menu

Garage background

Started by Sergiy Lysenko, June 29, 2020, 03:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergiy Lysenko

Hey guys, my inner censor didn't let me to call this post the way it should be, but I'll drop it here — picture name is "Fuck HDRI".

Long story short, I've been working on some automotive project and did not find any HDRI which satisfies me (maybe its some kind of mental disorder or procrastination:), so I decided to make it from the scratch.

Its my first interior build in 3D, but Im welcome yours harsh critique.

Zeltronic

Well it look very nice, nothing to say, well done.

Josh3D

This looks great. Weel done, Sergiy! Prepare for posts asking to share it ;-)

kamran Rahmani

The level of details drives me crazy, great, perfect shot

Magnus Skogsfjord

That looks awesome. Very convincing both on lighting and materials.

satglob

SergioBL

Oh yeah!! This is awesome!! I will be the first to ask what Josh said... Would be very cool and fun to work with that scene if you decide to share it :)
Great work man!

Sergio

DMerz III

Damn that is nice! Great work

satglob

Is there away to tell us how you did the material for the ground.

jamesinv

Awesome can't say anymore than that!

andy.engelkemier

Come on guys. He's looking for a harsh critique. You don't get better by everyone saying it's great and leaving it at that.
Yes, it's great. Definitely.
But if you want to get better, step back and think, "what's the first thing that gives this away as a render." Well, it's not the lighting, I'll tell you that. Those are great. For me, it was the cinder block column on the left. Since it's closer than the rest, you can see that it has a sharp edge, and the top edges are sharp.
The next was the reflection of the light on the cinderblick in the top middle. This place looks a bit grungy, so I don't expect the paint would still be that glossy.
And then there is grunge. This is the biggest thing people forget. You've got great grunge at the base of the walls. That comes with a decent amount of wear right? Your floor has some scratches and whatnot on it, but no wear pattern. Floors should be less glossy in high traffic areas.

Lastly, there might be some subtle things, like what you have where. The fire extinguisher near the door is mounted on the wall almost to the top of the door? That seems odd to me. It seems odd to me that you've got a motorcycle helmet next to a Car jack stand, next to some torch fuel, then with some open window office space above. Some of those things do seem like they could be natural clutter, but then I would expect the entire space to have a bit more clutter.

Sergiy Lysenko

Guys, thank you again for all your kind words and thank you KS team for publishing my work at your IG, that means a lot for me!

Andy, you're da MAN!
Thank you for a critical thoughts! In most cases I agree with you — yes, this closest left wall annoyed me since very beginning. The only excuse which I have, that on final renders it will be blurred by the DOF. Will try to improve the floor, agree that it misses small imperfections.

Regarding the helmet, car jack and office above — there is a real reference behind my work, its a garage of the auto racing team, so the helmet belongs to racing card driver. And the office above is also exists in real life.

Anyway, as I mentioned before this render is only the "background, really soon I'll publish an update where the main "hero" will be present.

satglob

well done nothing to say ...could you please tell us about the ground texture you used in this shot?

andy.engelkemier

Ha, I totally get the "is real, but doesn't look real" vibe. I'm selling a house right now that is pretty unique and my coworkers were like....Is that right? That doesn't look real. Did you photoshop that? Nope, I didn't even have access to the pictures (unfortunately, because they took pictures before I was able to touch up the paint on a few screw holes i spackled in the wall.)

DOF will definitely help things like that cinder block wall that's close and looks too sharp.
Although the grime at the bottom of the main cinder block wall is more than I expect in such a clean space, I wondered how you did that. Is the whole thing UV mapped, and you just created the two textures, are you using an occlusion map to blend between those? Is it built all into one single set of maps? There are many ways to accomplish something like that, although, not as many in keyshot as I would like. I would still love the ability use additional maps for bump maps. Like, why can't i use a color adjust, or color to number, and put that into bump? Very frustrating.
I started learning in Maya, which could put nearly anything into anything...to the point it was really easy to break things if you didn't know what the value expected (this was Maya 3.0). But then went to 3dsMax once employed, which was Much more limiting. And now I use keyshot as well, which is limiting to the point of utter frustration in comparison. If I had more time (and money) I could UV unwrap everything and create amazing textures for everything in substance....but for some reason clients don't really want to pay $10K for the first render of every model due to all the prep work needed to accomplish that. Crazy right?

Paul Lang

Great! render. compositing, lighting are working very well. I agree that believability is in the finer details, imperfections in surfaces materials, scale and balance are often overlooked. The grime on the walls near the floor are great but would pull those back about 50%. will balance better with the clean floor.  Also cinder block seams in some areas don't line up with the floor. What gives it away for me are the what I believe are electrical boxes on the mid wall, they seem too perfect interns of material and geometry edges seem a bit sharp. Perhaps a grey painted material would also be better here. Some slight depth of field will help the overall realism.

Lastly, post work. After I finish compositing the last steps I always perform is merge all my PS layers, Duplicate the merged layer, Gaussian Blur 1-1.5 pixels then re-sharpen with unsharp mask, High amount, low radius. Add a tiny bit of noise 1 or 2 pix. Last is a final color tweak to give a sense of atmosphere. Try adding a very slight amount of blue to the shadows and a hint of yellow to the highlights, but be careful with this, it is easy to over do it. These steps help reduce, sharp edges, renders looking to clean that is a tell tale sign that it is a cg image.

I took a screen cap of your image and applied these steps, although subtle you can see the difference it makes. http://files.theorangeapple.ca/download/garage.psd.zip