'ext.geom' files are huge, Disk Full error.

Started by mdccad, June 30, 2020, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdccad

Hey there,

My workflow in Keyshot 7 is mostly queuing large amounts or renders to run overnight. Usually I can do about 500+ before the disk is full and I can't keep adding more.
Today, I began a big queue and only got about 50 in when it gave me the error 'Disk full, please make space for /Scenes'. When I went to that folder I noticed all that the .ext files were only small but the .ext.geom files are nearly a GB each. They represented nearly 50GB of space in the drive. Have the .geom files always generated temporarily in the scenes folder? Are the necessary separate of the .ext files? Should they be so big?

I've been doing this work for over a year and never run into the issue.
Thanks in advance!
MDC

theAVator

Yep! I run into it all the time and have for many iterations of the program. The files there are basically copies of your source BIP. Every time you add a new render to the queue, it's a new copy in the scenes folder. So if your source BIP is large, your queued files will be large and the larger they are, the faster they fill up your hard drive. Some of the files I'm working are anywhere from 1-20GB in size, so you can imagine I get pretty limited on the number of queues I can do when working with the larger end of that spectrum. For me it also compounds because I have an on-site server that I render to, but being a corporate networked workstation, copying a file doesn't just go from my computer to the room next to me, it routes thru our datacenter, which adds 40min to each render save. Which means I can only queue to my HDD unless I want to do nothing for 40min each time I hit the Add to Queue button.

So long story short, yes, they are large because they're copies of your file. I'd be willing to bet that if you look at your .BIP, it's the same size. But because of the setting/file changes or possible file/settings changes, it has to save a new copy with those settings every time.

mattjgerard

Quote from: theAVator on July 01, 2020, 06:20:40 AM

So long story short, yes, they are large because they're copies of your file. I'd be willing to bet that if you look at your .BIP, it's the same size. But because of the setting/file changes or possible file/settings changes, it has to save a new copy with those settings every time.

And the bigger pain is that if you are adding studios or model sets to the queue, it saves, copies and transfers the WHOLE PROJECT not just the needed geometry. I've been compaining about this since KS6. I've changed my workflow to minimize the effects, but its very inefficient, especially, like in your case as in mine, I have a NR node in the data center. Fortunately our internal network is quite fast, but still. copying 3 gb when the model set only contains a couple dozen MB of data.....