Author Topic: Worked well between Oculus Quest+Link and Valve Index - voice chat?  (Read 168 times)

Offline rmcclelland

I tested this between my home and work computers and it connected fine. Good performance with a 3M triangle model. It seems better to use a ksp than a bip, so you don't have to worry about resource paths. Is voice chat coming? That seems essential. Markup? Also need measure, scale, explode, and section.

Offline Jan Simon

• Developer
Re: Worked well between Oculus Quest+Link and Valve Index - voice chat?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:27:53 am »
Hi rmcclelland!

Great to hear that your first experiments with KeyVR Connect were successful!

It seems better to use a ksp than a bip, so you don't have to worry about resource paths.
Yes, ksp files are definitely less of a hassle to manually share between machines, especially if you plan on making changes to your scene in between KeyVR Connect sessions.

Having said that, you can also create a shared network location in Windows and put all your scenes (and resources) in there. Then set this network location as your "Shared scenes" folder in the KeyVR preferences. That way you don't need to manually transfer any files at all and every machine always has access to the same scenes. That is the method we use in-house at Luxion to reduce the overhead of copying files across every time you want to try a new scene with multiple users.

Is voice chat coming?
We agree that voice chat is super important for getting the most out of KeyVR Connect but have decided to not reinvent the wheel in this regard. We recommend just using existing voice call software such as Skype, Discord, Slack, Teamspeak etc. These programs all work fine with KeyVR running in the foreground and won't negatively impact your performance in VR.

Markup? Also need measure, scale, explode, and section.
These are great ideas for additional KeyVR tools. A marker or annotation tool and the ability to scale the scene or yourself are especially high on the list. Explode is best done in KeyShot with an animation, which are also fully supported in KeyVR Connect!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:04:29 am by Jan Simon »

Offline rmcclelland

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 06:12:55 am »
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Getting people to actually use VR is all about reducing friction, which is why the Quest has sold so well. Does Oculus or Steam have a voice chat API you can tap into so you don't have to re-invent the wheel? Having to start another app for voice chat is a drag. Internally, we would just use Teams, but externally, it is another point of failure and friction. I'm sure you have had experience with telecon tech issues.

KeyVR might not be totally aligned with Aerospace, were we are more concerned about function than form. We want to use VR for design review, part of which is assessing accessibility during assembly; e.g. can I reach in with this wrench and install this component? I think we might be able to do that with KeyVR buy adding a tool model and turning on physics right? We also definitely want to be able to measure clearances.

The workflow from OnShape to KeyVR is really easy BTW; appreciated.

Offline Jan Simon

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:44:55 am »
Does Oculus or Steam have a voice chat API you can tap into so you don't have to re-invent the wheel? Having to start another app for voice chat is a drag.
I understand the concern but the SDKs do not have a built-in voice API unfortunately. Steam itself does have voice calls built-in however, if that helps?

We want to use VR for design review, part of which is assessing accessibility during assembly; e.g. can I reach in with this wrench and install this component? I think we might be able to do that with KeyVR buy adding a tool model and turning on physics right?
Yes, you can totally do that this way with KeyVR, in fact I think that's a great use case! You may not even need to use physics (unless you want to see what happens when a technician *drops* their wrench into an access port haha)! Just make sure that all objects that are supposed to stay in-place are locked in KeyShot and that your tool object is unlocked. Then you can move the tool around with your hands and reach in etc. The main difference being that, with physics on, the tool will actually drop (and collide with the surroundings) when the user lets go. Without physics it will simply float in space, making it easier to grab it again and continue the review.

We also definitely want to be able to measure clearances.
Yes, we absolutely plan on implementing a tool to measure distances. You'll just need to make sure that your scene has its units and scale set up correctly within KeyShot (Edit -> Set Scene Units). I imagine a virtual measuring tape that you can span out with your hands or fix somewhere and then stretch out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:48:07 am by Jan Simon »

Offline rmcclelland

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 07:21:35 am »
Sounds good. For a good example of a well implemented measuring tape, check out Gravity Sketch. You can get it cheap on the Oculus Store.